About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Section Engineer (roads / structures) to join our Regional team to work in Northamptonshire.What you'll be doing
As a Section Engineer (roads / structures), your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Assist in the day to day management and coordination of the civils trades required as part of the works in engineering functions in support of the trade contractors, plant, labour and materials.
- Provision of technical interpretation of the works information and dimensional control of the contract works and coach young engineers in dimensional control.
- Ensure technical and dimensional information is consistent and accurately set out when delegated through Site Engineers.
- Generate technical queries where conflicting information arises.
- Understand the basic construction methodologys sufficiently to identify interface conflicts, in order to implement planned strategies to manage these interface conflicts.
- Produce a comprehensive daily diary of site activities of the works for which you have responsibility.
- Completion and compilation of quality records in accordance with the project quality procedures. Produce activity control plans.
- Complete material take off, procurement and reconciliations.
- Undertake measurement of works under your control.
- Provide engineering control for the implementation of trade disciplines.
- Have knowledge and understanding of the contract programme applicable to the civils trades operations and manage / coordinate with other site activities.
- Actively participate in the identification and recording of hazards.
- Seek to improve the achieved levels of health and safety at every opportunity.
- Assist in the management and control of materials to ensure that the agreed wastage allowances are not exceeded.
- Ensure that areas of additional work are brought to the attention of the civils Sub Agent.
- Promote environmentally friendly work practices and procedures.
- Undertake the implementation of formal briefings for risk assessments and toolbox talks with own labour force and that of sub-contractors
- Act in the best interests of the company in all dealings with, clients, suppliers, supervisors, workforce, public etc.
- Act as an ambassador in your dealings with stakeholder representatives.
- Actively seek to gain the knowledge and experience of your peers.
- Information requirements providing information as appropriate.
- Preparation of weekly work schedules.
- Provision of material take offs.
- Coordination of trade contractors and Sub-contractors
- Weekly measures and reconciliations.
- Manage the setting out and dimensional control of the works.
- Daily diary records.
- Quality documentation and supporting evidence collation.
- Ensure hazard risk assessments and the control measures are briefed to all trade contractors and Sub-contractors under your control.
- Attendance to meetings as required.
- Identify any training needs that your works present.
- Toolbox talk, risk assessment preparation and task briefing records.
- Complete Accident books and reports.
- Produce temporary works briefs.
- Produce ACPs
- Produce method statements, field control sheets and risk assessments.
- Uses specification as a reference document.
- Carries out labour and plant reconciliations.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- Written English, communications, literacy, leadership, numerate, ability to motivate, organisational skills and a team player.
- Driving license essential
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.