Think big, create better
Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders – Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life. The Role
We are looking to recruit a Principal Structures Engineer for the Area 14 Design Services Contract. In this role you will be a member of the contract Senior Management Team and lead the Structures Design portfolio. You will provide effective technical leadership to a local team in the delivery of Structures maintenance and improvement schemes. You will further liaise with our supporting Structures teams across the UK and be the main Structures point of contact to our client Highways England.
We have a growing core contract team of 30+ staff and work collaboratively with Highways England in a shared office space in Darlington. We work flexibly around our core hours of 10-3 with agile working possible. At Amey Consulting, you’ll see your work progress from early design to the Construction, with every project being different from the last. You’ll feel inspired to challenge yourself, as well as your colleagues. You’ll have the opportunity to thrive and we’ll help you shape your career whether through further qualification, learning new skills or whatever else you need to achieve your ambitions.
Being an experienced Principal Structures Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it’s further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you. In a typical week you will:
- Drive effective health and safety practices across the Structures portfolio
- Lead the delivery of scheme design on various design duties including:
- Feasibility and other technical reports
- Planning, programming and cost estimation
- Design production
- Production of design schedules
- Reviewing and amending design drawings
- Production of Specifications
- Supporting development team members from Technicians and Graduate Engineer to Senior Engineers
We want to hear from you if:
- Liaise with the Client and our Community partners to ensure developed solutions are suitable for buildability and maintainability
- Approve technical reports (e.g. Feasibility/Options Reports, Assessment Reports and other technical reports)
- Manage resources across the Structures portfolio
- Manage portfolio programme to deliver specified deliverables on time and to budget
- Manage and maintain excellent working relationships with the client and other relevant stakeholders
- Lead the personal development of the local Structures team in Darlington
- Represent the business stream in multi-disciplined project teams
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Keep up to date with your own personal development to ensure the natural growth of the team
- You are able to demonstrate high level experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Senior Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements
- You have experience of managing project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are experienced in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have Chartered or Incorporated status held with an appropriate professional body
- You have knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You are an accredited training manager with a relevant professional institution, e.g. Supervising Civil Engineer for the Institution of Civil Engineers
- You are capable of acting as engineering lead or engineering day-to-day main contact for a project where required under the terms of the commission
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
What else is better about working for Amey?
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.
Construction Design And Management (Cdm) Regulations