About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Supervisor to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Middlesbrough.
What you'll be doing
- Responsibility for ensuring project-based operatives on the project are trained to carry out the works in a safe, competent and timely manner using the appropriate type and quantities of Plant and Equipment.
- Working in partnership with the Site Engineer(s) to ensure the project is delivered to programme, discussing and resolving any project delivery issues that may arise.
As a Supervisor, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Do not instruct others to undertake such work if they do not hold the appropriate Certificate of Competence/Authority to Work.
- Manage commercial and business risks to achieve targets on projects
- Understand the relevant commercial terms and conditions for each project/tender.
- Pro-actively manage the customer relationship during tender and delivery
- Show clear and visible leadership
- Develop and support the operational teams to be successful by talking positively, listening actively and encouraging constantly
- Review the scope of works to be carried out with the Project and/or Site
- Engineers, identifying and agreeing safe systems of work to be employed.
- Liaise with the Project and/or Site Engineer to ensure a timely requisition for sufficient plant and equipment is made, giving adequate notice to Resources.
- Review method statements and risk assessments that are specific to construction activities and assist in compiling the Work packs ensuring they contain all relevant information
- Arrange that all operatives in the gangs are given site inductions prior to any site activities starting
- Ensure all site personnel have the correct authorisations to operate plant or receive permits.
- Ensure and monitor that all site personnel have the correct PPE and welfare facilities on site.
- Carry out MSR (Management Safety Representative) checks of working practices at site in conjunction with the Clients nominated MSR.
- Assist the Engineer in carrying out weekly inspections of all plant, lifting equipment and recording on the appropriate forms.
- Ensure that the weekly log (defect) book, for all vans, are correctly filled in, collected and returned to the Engineer
- Liaise with Engineers on environmental issues regarding SSSI, Flora and Fauna, Archaeological impacts etc.
- Monitor progress against the program for the construction activities.
- Ensure that accidents and incidents are promptly reported, giving accurate details
- Ensure Permit to Work near Existing Services documentation is clearly and correctly carried out for all ground breaking activities related to construction works.
- Supervise the Foremen and operatives on a daily basis, establishing and communicating the methods of work to be employed in carrying out the construction operations, assisting with resources requirements and movements of operatives on the project
- The Supervisor must establish morning and evening Meeting Points for all operatives
- Ensure all site materials are stored in a safe and secure manner, waste materials are removed from site promptly and good housekeeping is maintained at all times.
- Ensure the Engineer has all necessary information to arrange on site security as required.
- Attend regular safety forums with site operatives,
- Communicate safety alerts and information to all persons involved in construction operations.
- Assist the Safety Department to investigate accidents, incidents and near misses.
- Ensure site records are handed over to the Engineer for final records to be produced in a timely manner
- Ensure that all Foremen, Leading Hands and Operatives have the latest access maps and all restrictions are clearly noted in toolbox talks.
- Communicate to the Engineer where problems are likely to be encountered throughout the project.
- Ensure that all externally sourced services (Trak way, footbridges etc) are in place prior to site activities starting.
- Be responsible for the operatives time sheets being filled in correctly
- Ensure operative holiday forms are correctly filled in and submitted in a timely manner to Engineers.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- Experience of Management and Delivery of Overhead Line, Cabling or Substation schemes up to 400kV preferable.
- Completion of SSSTS
- Completion of Making Safety Personal Module 2
- Completion of Brilliant Basics Honest Conversations Module
- Effective Communication Skills
- Commercial awareness with knowledge of both budgetary and Financial control
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a team for success
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Customer Relationship Management