Note for Recruitment Agencies:
We prefer to hire directly, but we do have an approved supplier list for when we’d like a helping hand. We’ll be in touch if we need you.
We have a challenging yet exciting opportunity become available at the Guildford office for Senior Design Manager.
- To manage the whole process of designing the solution(s) for projects to meet or exceed customers’ requirements and framework deliverables
- To recognise Contractual, Financial, Technical and Operational Risks and to find opportunities for Value Engineering, to minimise risk and maximise gross profit on contracts whilst achieving Customer Satisfaction
- To support the fulfilment of the pipeline of contracts Safely, On Time, and to the required Quality
- Lead the Appointment of Design and associated Consultants, ensuring a Contractual Requirements are captured, along with the deliverables being clearly defined using such tools as the IRS, MIDP, Deliverables and Scope of Services
- Review and appraise fee proposals from the Consultants. Manage & monitor performance of Consultants encouraging a “Collaborative” approach to deliver robust, co-ordinated designs on time and to budget. Lead the KPI assessment of each and the production of progress Reports as required
- Support and manage the development of CDP Packages to ensure compliance and that they are fully co-ordinate
- Assess the Consultants in line with CDM 2015 requirements and ensure all obligations are met. Designs should fully consider Health, Safety and Buildability
- To manage and take ownership of all Design Processes and information flow on Design and Build and heavily CDP contracts to meet the Employer's Requirements, Contractors Proposals and Contract Conditions within the agreed Programme constraints using our CDE. Assess, evaluate and ensure alignment of Design outputs to each of the relevant RIBA Stages
- To have a proven track record of delivering projects to BIM L2
Our business is primarily focused on key frameworks, with repeat business clients. The candidate will be required to support the two stage submission requirements of the frameworks, securing the opportunity and delivering the second stage. Managing the designs to achieve the client’s expectations, contract requirements and to deliver within budget.
To support the implementation of the Galliford Try Building Southern’s Business Improvement Strategy, “Delivering Excellence”. The focus of this is project delivery through four cornerstones: Safe, On Time, Snag Free and Delighted Client. The role will also require the implementation of all Galliford Try’s relevant policies including those for HSS, Design Management, Risk Management and our BIM strategy.
They will also ensure maximum potential is achieved on the framework KPI’s so ensure best on framework.
Health, Safety & Sustainability
- Support the “Safe” cornerstone
- To implement and comply with Galliford Try’s HSS Policy and Procedures, all Legal Requirements, and Best Practice.
- Appointment of the Principle Designer and CDM Compliance
- To support the achievement of the annual Financial Budget (Operating Profit) for the Business
- To support the development and implementation of the Design Management Budget
- Recognise Contractual, Financial, Technical and Operational Risks within bids and to find opportunities to minimise risk and maximise gross profit
- To manage the process of designing solutions
- To lead ‘Value Engineering’
- To support the “Delighted Client” cornerstone
- To support the winning of contracts while minimising risk and maximising gross profit
- To manage the design process for bids
- To embody Galliford Try’s Values and promote our vision to become the most highly respected company in the industry
- To meet or exceed the expectations of external and internal customers and to contribute to achieving Delivering Excellence
Quality of Delivery
- To support the “On Time” and “Snag Free” cornerstone
- To input into the Delivering Excellence Project Plan with Innovation and Best Practice
- Lead the development of robust Design Programmes to ensuring they are in place for all bids and projects
- To lead the design co-ordination in line with the DPC
- Regional BIM Lead
- Lead the Consultant Appointments
- To support the process of assessing, preparing (including post-bid activities), validating, adjudication and final submission of bids on time and to the required quality
- Collaborate on ITP Development and undertake Site Inspections to ensure the built product meets the design and identify/highlight potential risks
- Demonstrate a technical appreciation and a working knowledge inclusive of Town Planning, Building Regulations and BREEAM
- To support the commercial relationships with Customers, Consultants, Supply Chain during the tender and fulfilment processes
- To implement and ensure compliance with, and support the development of Galliford Try’s policies, procedures and standards:
- Support business unit and Galliford Try’s Corporate Responsibility Strategies
Experience and Qualifications:
- New build and refurbishment experience in: Education Buildings, Health Care Projects, Civic, Frameworks, Traditional and D&B Contracts, All Building Sub-Structure, Frame and Envelope Solutions, MMC
- Managing Designers and other Consultants, preferable with a Design background.
- Proven ability of delivering design for projects on time, to budget quality standards with high customer satisfaction results. Experienced in analysing problems and delivering solutions.
- Computer literate and Commercially astute.
- Good time management with ability to multi task.
- Ability to make decisions within authority and able to lead and work as a team member.
- Strives for continuous improvement for the benefit of the company with drive to achieve customer satisfaction.
- Communicates clearly with confidence at all levels.
- Demonstrate our Company Values: Excellence, Passion, Integrity and Collaboration.
- Construction/Design related HNC/HND/Degree
- Member of Professional Body CIOB/RIBA/RICS
- Relevant CSCS card
- Full UK Driving Licence
We offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges. We also offer a competitive salary and benefits package and we will always consider flexible working hours and arrangements.
With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
Galliford Try is one of the UK’s most formidable construction businesses with an enviable track record of delivering schemes that strive to provide positive, lasting change for the communities we work in. With an impressive order book of over £3.2 billion we are one of the industry’s leading principal contractors, affording you the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s most exciting projects offering you stability as well as the chance to stretch your capabilities and realise long held career goals. You will be joining diverse teams working at a high professional level with exceptional levels of commitment.
As a major UK contractor our Construction Division has a diversified workload in the public, regulated and private sectors. The Division boasts a strong reputation for providing whole-life solutions, high standards of project delivery, and an ability to innovate. It predominately operates under either the Galliford Try or the Morrison Construction brands, and is organised into five key segments: Building, Infrastructure, Facilities Management, Investments and Integrated Solutions.
The Building Division works across health, education, defense and commercial markets, with a well-balanced spread of both public and private sector clients. Our extensive experience and expertise in building projects enables us to understand our clients’ construction needs and deliver solutions that surpass their expectations.
Galliford Try is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community