About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environment & Sustainability Advisor to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Boston.
What you'll be doing
- Providing support and advice to operational teams on all aspects of environmental management, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement;
- Understand and work with Clients and Regulators to ensure the Planning Conditions and environmental requirements are complied with. Support on project teams in planning works, third party consents, regulatory bodies, engagement with local stakeholders and members of the public.
As an Environment & Sustainability Advisor , your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Compile, review and deliver works under Planning Conditions
- Lead on ensuring project are fully compliant with the Planning Conditions
- Provide advice and support to operational teams on Planning Conditions and environmental matters
- Develop and maintain local environmental management and sustainability plans
- Maintain relationships with regulators, clients and subcontractors
- Investigate and report incidents to the Environmental Manager
- Ensure the environmental management system is maintained in line with changing standards and legislation and Client requirements
- Ensure on site compliance with environmental legislation and coach teams in applying controls and mitigations
- Develop and maintain relationships with local stakeholders
- Encouraging site environmental best practice and safe behaviours
- Deliver value adding environment projects and support ecological enhancement
- Liaise with client, regulatory bodies and subcontractors on matters of environmental management and sustainability
- Produce and update environmental plans and environmental risk assessments
- Provide on-site advice to operations and design teams on the Planning Conditions, environmental matters, compliance and project specific mitigation measures including pollution control and ecology protection
- Ensure implementation of the project Planning Conditions and environmental management systems on project sites
- Be aware of any changes to standards and legislation and where applicable recommend changes to systems and processes
- Deliver environmental training, toolbox talks and undertake onsite coaching
- Produce internal and external reports as required for the Planning Conditions, case studies, environmental performance
- Assist in the development and production of key performance indicators and management reports
- Support the Bid Team by reviewing client tender documents and providing detailed responses such as environmental management plans
- Support and conduct audit and assurance activities including facilitating external audits by clients and certification bodies
- Working with the E&S team of to ensure that all Planning Conditions application components are prepared to time and budget
- Ensuring effective working across different company teams, in particular, site development and engineering, to ensure that appropriate project descriptions and other relevant information are developed on time to support the relevant Planning Conditions application components and associated EIA work
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Strong knowledge of environment management
- Educated to degree level in Environmental Science, Environmental Management
- Practical experience and knowledge of environmental legislation, ecology mitigation, environmental licences and consent applications and regulators
- Understanding of ecological matters and environmental law
- PIEEM, or IEMA Membership
- Commercial awareness
- Full UK drivers licence and flexibility to travel
- Experience working under Planning Conditions
- Understanding of the utilities/construction/engineering operating environment
- Literate in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook
- Good interpersonal skills
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Internal environmental auditor qualification
- Competent ecological surveyor for one protected species
- Masters degree in relevant field
- NEBOSH H&S Diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of the Construction Industry
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Environmental Resource Management
Environmental Management Systems
National Examination Board In Occupational Safety And Health (Nebosh) Certified