About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Protection & Control Design Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Leeds.
What you'll be doing
- Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Protection & Control Design Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Leeds;
- To provide project leadership as Project Design Lead (PDL) for design delivery of one or more electrical substation projects from tendering till project handover;
- Perform and lead the design delivery for electrical substation projects up to a voltage of 400kV with the assistance of the Design Engineers.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
Who we're looking for
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard Company Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental Procedures and BMS;
- Ensure that the allocated projects meet or exceed the requirements of safety by design, quality, programme and budget;
- Deliver and lead Protection & Control Systems design for substations;
- Enact CDAE role and deliver associated responsibilities in line with NG TP188 and other applicable documents and standards;
- Orchestrate Customer Witness Tests at the factory for Protection & Control Systems;
- Represent the Department at project start-up, scheme review, progress, close-out, liaison and other meetings;
- Be responsible for maintaining internal and external interfaces during the project;
- On receipt of confirmation of contract award, undertake a review of the estimate and any post tender additional requirements;
- Prepare Design Projects status via a project-specific Project Status Report (PSR) as per department procedures;
- Should any changes in scope be requested by the client, then raise a EWNs/ DES06 that quantifies the impact and costs associated;
- Flag deviations, seek and agree mitigation;
- Review TQs/ EWNs weekly and monitor. Escalate as necessary;
Why work for us
- HND in Electrical Engineering or higher;
- Extensive experience in HV substation design;
- Reasonable working knowledge of the requirements of multi-discipline substation design delivery for substation projects for National Grid, SSE or similar clients and experience in such delivery;
- Reasonable working knowledge of project co-ordination, estimating, scope change management, programme management and reporting;
- Familiarity with quality assurance, business processes and applications;
- Integrity and professionalism;
- Teamwork ethic;
- Strives for excellence in design delivery/customer relations;
- Demonstrates respect for team members, customers and suppliers.
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.