About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a COSS SUPERVISOR to join our Rail team to work in Exeter or Swindon.
What you'll be doing
- At a site level, ensure that works is executed and delivered in a safe manor to the high quality and in line with the clients expectations. This will be over a portfolio of work spanning Drainage, Earthwork and Structure schemes over the Great Western Network.
- This will involve managing a multi-skilled team of direct & agency labour and specialist subcontractors.
- Role also requires the candidate to ensure good documentation and record keeping is kept on site and relayed to the General Foreman/Agent.
As a COSS SUPERVISOR, you will have the following accountabiities:
Who we're looking for
- Provide good quality briefings of the TBS/WPP/COSS Briefing at the start of each shift to all workforce & ensure understanding by all
- Ensure any issues/changes are communicated to the General Foreman/Agent
- Ensure labour and plant allowances are understood by all on site Acc Ensure direct labour is planned and utilised efficiently
- Feedback to the General Foreman/Agent regarding resource levels for the contract
- Monitor performance against production targets and report against this weekly
- Manage plant on hire list weekly and resolve discrepancies
- Maintain all site plant & labour records
- Ensure correct and efficient storage of materials on site to avoid damage
- Understand contract conditions with Client and Suppliers, recognise variations to contract and process accordingly
- Ensure materials and workmanship meet specification
- Daily site diary and/or allocation sheets
- Overall responsibility for the safety performance at site level
- Lead by example & ensure compliance with industry and company standards
- Plan HSQE into work activities and ensure adequate resources are available to carry out the operations
- Proactive in safety on site & ensure PPE compliance
- Deliver Site safety inductions
- Deliver Toolbox Talks and safety briefings and Chair Worksafe Meetings
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Personal Track Safety
- Good teamwork & interpersonal skills
- Hardworking and adaptable
- 2 day SMSTS training
- COSS/IWA/E/S competencies
- First aid
- Full UK driving license
- Both Civils & Rail experience
The following qualities/experience are preferable:
Why work for us
- 5 day SMSTS training
- Confined space trained
- Good knowledge of SSOW planning and implementation
- Working on a Civils/construction based Framework
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
For an example of the exciting work our rail teams undertake click here:
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to COSS Supervisor
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.