About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a General Foreman to join our Regional team to work in Wokingham.
What you'll be doing
- To provide supervision of the works and control of a team comprising Foremen, Gangers and direct labour force. Supervision and control of the works of Subcontractors.
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities.
Health, Safety & Environmental:
- Input into the production of Work Package Plans and Risk Assessments;
- Provide suggestions and recommendations for Temporary Works solutions;
- Identify potential hazards and proactively implement actions and controls;
- Ensure all plant and small tools are adequately maintained before use;
- Input into the production and delivery of Task Briefing Sheets and toolbox talks;
- Through observation and liaison with the workforce and subcontractors suggests improvement areas;
- Ensures plant is adequate for the task prior to being used;
- Monitors the performance of plant operators and appointed persons;
- Carries out Safety & Environment Tours;
- Keeps up to date with changes in legislation;
- Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies;
- Ensures that the Environmental Policy and appropriate parts of Environmental Procedures are effectively communicated to the workforce, particularly to those engaged on activities that have been identified as likely to have a significant environmental impact;
- Seeks to improve levels of safety at every opportunity.
- Identify future requirements for setting out and communicate to Engineering team
- Carries out Independent Inspections of their own section and of others;
- Ensures that the workforce / Gangers have sufficient and correct information in terms of specification, workmanship and finish;
- Ensures that all Non Conformances are reported as required;
- Monitor levels of workmanship;
- Ensures that a culture of Right First Time is adopted in the Supply Chain;
- Carry out Quality Tool Box Talks.
- Input into weekly programme and monitor progress against KPIs;
- Communication of weekly programme and targets to the workforce;
- Understands key milestones provided in Stage Programme;
- Ensure that the appropriate level of resource is allocated to each work activity and monitor to improve efficiency'
Who we're looking for
- Assessment of material wastage allowances and implementation of appropriate improvement actions;
- Validation of labour and plant records to the project cost control procedure;
- Weekly review of small tools list;
- Awareness of project scope and highlights items of additional work.
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately;
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes;
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights;
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility;
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card;
- Must be a good team player, with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Health Safety & Environmental:
- Understands the basic Company Protocols with regard to Accidents and Incidents investigations;
- Uncompromising approach to the implementation of safe systems of work;
- Good working knowledge of current H & S legislation;
- Where possible, adopts an innovative approach to enhancing safe systems of work;
- Experienced in the delivery of engaging toolbox talks;
- Engineering Control;
- Experienced in resource allocation.
- Awareness of Specification and other Contract documents;
- Understands the relevant Business Management System and implements systems and processes (e.g. ordering plant, recruiting labour, disciplinary procedures);
- Understanding of construction tolerances;
- Understands and implements the requirements of Inspection and Test Plans;
- Encourages ownership within the team and fosters a culture of Right First Time.
- Experience of managing the works of direct labour and subcontractors;
- Able to take off and schedule material quantities accurately;
- Experience of monitoring key programme dates, e.g. TM switches, concrete pour dates etc;
- Experience of planning and managing project creep.
- Understands the specific terms, conditions and outputs of relevant subcontractors and suppliers;
- Experience of monitoring project scope and preventing creep;
- Produces and monitors the daily records, including holding reviews with team members to ensure proper record standards are maintained;
- Understands material wastage allowances and able to suggest improvements to save materials;
- Awareness of the NEC and other relevant forms of contract and able to develop professional relationship with Client representatives.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Experienced in the delivery of high profile projects involving earthworks, deep drainage and reinforced concrete construction, to ensure that customer expectations are exceeded and enhanced experience for all involved in the scheme;
- Solution orientated individual, with ability to analyse risks and benefits of options to resolve identified issues. Proven experience of working to tight deadlines with an ability to prioritise and multi-task;
- Capable of taking ownership of the works or a section of the works from start to finish, including the handover of the works
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Hardworking And Dedicated