About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join our Regional team to work in Birmingham.
To act as the operational lead of site-based activities reporting into the Project Lead. The role holds responsibility for ensuring all aspects of the operation, including Site Managers, Subcontractors (and their operatives), are suitably competent before starting work in compliance with company standards. The role requires that all works are planned, managed and monitored. Responsibilities will be tailored according
to the size of the team and project may include one or multiple line reports. Once on site the role involves daily briefings and the organisation of all matters on site including progress vs programme, logistics and maintaining the highest standards of HSE.
To assist the Project Lead in day to day management and delivery of the project and as a member of the Project Management Team, contribute to the overall project targets and performance measures. What you'll be doing
As a Project Manager , your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Lead the site operations and manage the supply chain to deliver projects to time, cost and quality targets and standards.
- Ensure safety targets and standards are maintained by:
- Knowing what safety excellence looks like and communicate safety with passion and credibility in order to inspire, motivate and lead the project team to achieve the vision
- Fostering a continuous improvement culture by actively seeking input from all members of the project team and encouraging them to implement safety improvements
- Ensure sustainability targets and standards are achieved by:
- Knowing what safety excellence looks like and communicate safety with passion
- Actively engaging with the customer to understand and deliver their key sustainability objectives
- Promoting Sustainable Solutions around all operations, particularly those related to efficient management of Waste, Energy and Water
- Leading effective Community Engagement Plans and Skills Programmes where required
- Ensure that project plans and schedules are robust and optimise project resources and timescales and are communicated effectively to the project team
- Manage Sub Contractors, including monitoring of contractor attendance and progress; providing direct instruction and support as necessary such that contractual arrangements are achieved
- Participate with the management of internal/external design team/consultants to meet project deadlines
- Appreciate the commercial implications and drivers within the construction process and incorporate these into decision making working closely with the Project Surveyor
- Liaise with the Site Managers to ensure they are fully aware of project progress and that they are notified of all financial, specification and time risks, ensuring that all additional work is identified
- Assist with people management and resourcing of the project
- Proactively assist with managing the customer relationship during delivery, including change and decision making to effectively manage expectations
- Ensure the Company and Divisional procedures and policies are followed by the relevant teams, i.e. the Business Management System, including the Process Operating Model
- Ensure Defects and any post completion issues, if applicable, to maintain a positive customer relationship and repeat business performance levels are managed
- Embrace learning and development opportunities
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities
The following qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- Previous Project Management experience within the construction industry is essential. It would be highly beneficial to have experience of working on and managing teams within schemes worth GBP50m+ and within the Healthcare sector
- Ability to communicate effectively is required in order to manage customer relationships (at all levels), in addition to planning and organisation skills to deliver operational excellence and efficiency
- Effective leadership skills, including experience of leading teams and confidence in the ability to lead, influence and communicate with others to deliver targets are required
- Financial awareness is required to deliver targets, with a desire to continuously improve safety and sustainability performance
- An appropriate and valid CSCS card is required, as is SMSTS Certification
- A relevant professional qualification, such as MCIOB, and a relevant technical qualification are desirable
- Experience of Passive Fire Protection and Dry Lining systems are also desirable
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Continuous Improvement Process
Health Safety And Environment