About Keolis Amey
Operated by KeolisAmeyManchester: Keolis (60%) and Amey(40%)
- PTA: Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)
- Operation and maintenance of the Greater Manchester’s Metrolink light rail network
- Operation started on July 2017 and will end in 2027
- over 100 km long network
- 99 tram stops
- 120 trams sets
- Around 7 million passenger journeys per year
- 900 employees
KeolisAmey Metrolink a joint venture between Keolis and Amey, was awarded the franchise to operate and maintain Greater Manchester’s Metrolink for Transport for Greater Manchester until 2027.
In April 2020 Metrokink expanded to Trafford Park (TPL) the extension added six new stops to the existing Metrolink network, taking the total number of stops to 99, across a tram network now more than 100km in length.
The focus of the franchise is to boost services and implement a series of service improvements to make journeys better for passengers. This means cleaner trains and stations, more reliable lifts and escalators, more efficient and reliable station maintenance and faster passenger journeys. Maintaining the network’s 99 per cent reliability record and ensuring it remains one of the best performing railways in the UK is a key priority.
What is the purpose of this role?
To lead all operational and timetable planning activity within KAM, providing the basis for efficient delivery of the passenger service, delivering transport for special events and ensuring that the requirements of our customers are prioritised during engineering works. To support the business in ensuring the Operational Excellence objectives within the KAM Joint Business Plan are met through optimised operational planning, targeting operational improvements, managing disruptions better and placing customers at the heart of operational decision making. What will this role involve?
What are we looking for?
- Effective leadership of direct reports to deliver the key outputs of the Planning team. Accountable for the production and delivery of timetables and operational plans including Special Event Plans, Possession Operational Plans, the Planned Applicable Timetable and Amended Access operational plans.
- Ensure that team and Driver staffing levels and operating costs are met and managed effectively within budgetary constraints.
- Lead negotiations regarding changes to the timetable, driver duties and any resulting terms and conditions changes with Unite Union
- Maintain oversight of fatigue risk factors as part of driver rostering and resourcing activity, in conjunction with the Driver management team.
- Deliver Driver resource planning - Work collaboratively with KAM Engineering and Project functions, TfGM Level 2 Integrated Programme and other 3rd parties to optimise end-to-end operational planning of network access for the purposes of network presentation, maintenance, renewal and enhancement activities.
- Ensure that events across Greater Manchester are supported by an appropriate level of rail service in compliance with our MOMA commitments.
- Ensure that rail replacement operations are implemented in a timely and compliant manner, working with bus suppliers to ensure they are quantitatively and qualitatively compliant (e.g. accessibility requirements).
- Lead the development of comprehensive readiness plans for operational changes including new and revised timetables / service patterns, the implementation of new lines, the introduction of new rolling stock, ensuring that these developments are introduced without any detrimental effect on customers.
- Build effective working relationships with external key stakeholders such as Greater Manchester Police, British Transport Police and local councils.
- Professional knowledge is recognised through a relevant professional qualification up to degree level and/or breadth of operational planning experience in a complex service delivery environment.
- Experience of advising at a senior management team level to provide authoritative guidance on all matters related to Light Rail/Metro Operations with an emphasis on Timetabling, Crew Resourcing, Crew Rostering, Fleet Deployment.
- Applied knowledge and experience of implementing change in an operations environment where changes to working practices are negotiated and consulted upon with trade union representatives.
- Relevant business experience in passenger transport operations in light rail, heavy rail or other highly regulated industry.
- Skilled as a communicator, negotiator and influencer to ensure that Operational Planning interests and issues are committed to and aligned with business plan activities.
- Able to challenge and evaluate activities against zero harm objective to enhance colleague and customer safety and security.
- Able to understand and interpret legislation and standards relating to operations control, crisis management, service delivery and recovery