About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental and Sustainability Coordinator to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Axbridge, Somerset.
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Co-ordinator to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business. Providing support and advice to operational teams on all aspects of environmental management, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement.
Understand and work with Clients and Regulators to ensure the Development Consent Order (DCO) and environmental requirements are complied with. Support on project teams in planning works, third party consents, regulatory bodies, engagement with local stakeholders and members of the public.
What you'll be doing
As an Environmental and Sustainability Coordinator, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Ensure project are fully compliant with the DCO
Provide advice and support to operational teams on DCO and environmental matters
- Develop and maintain local environmental management and sustainability plans
- Maintain relationships with regulators, clients and subcontractors
- Develop and maintain relationships with local stakeholders
- Compile DCO documentation
- Identify and obtain third party consents
- Accurately record & review local DCO event data from work winning to full discharge
- Encouraging site environmental best practice and safe behaviours
- Lead pre construction phase for environmental planning input
- Review and input to the agreed list of DCO deliverables
- Management and Production of DCO documents
- Attend internal and external meetings
- Deliver value adding environment projects and support ecological enhancements
- Liaise with client, regulatory bodies and subcontractors on matters of environmental management and sustainability.
- Produce and update environmental plans and environmental risk assessments
- Provide on-site advice to operations and design teams on the DCO, environmental matters, compliance and project specific mitigation measures including pollution control and ecology protection
- Ensure implementation of the project DCO and environmental management systems on project sites
- Be aware of any changes to standards and legislation and where applicable recommend changes to systems and processes
- Produce internal and external reports as required for the DCO, case studies, environmental performance.
- Assist in the development and production of key performance indicators and management reports
- Working with the E&S team of to ensure that all DCO application components are prepared to time and budget.
- Ensuring effective working across different company teams, in particular, site development and engineering, to ensure that appropriate project descriptions and other relevant information are developed on time to support the relevant DCO application components and associated EIA work.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Strong knowledge of environment management
- Educated to degree level in Environmental Science, Environmental Management
- Practical experience and knowledge of environmental legislation, ecology mitigation, environmental licences and consent applications and regulators
- Understanding of ecological matters and environmental law
- Full UK drivers licence and flexibility to travel
- Literate in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook
- Good interpersonal skills
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Internal environmental auditor qualification
- Competent ecological surveyor for one protected species
- PIEEM, or IEMA Membership
- Commercial awareness
- NEBOSH H&S Diploma or equivalent
- Understanding of the utilities/construction/engineering operating environment
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Environmental Resource Management
Environmental Management Systems