We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work, and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality.
What is the purpose of this role?
Amey Consulting is rapidly expanding and looking to recruit Principal Civil Engineers to work at our Design Hub in Sheffield, supporting our ongoing and increasing workload for both public and private sector clients on a wide variety of development and Highway schemes.
Current projects include:
What will this role involve?
- Delivery Integrated Partner (DIP) Framework for delivering major Highway Projects – M6 J19 improvements
- Sheffield PFI – Highway Design for improvements on the network
- £500m Designers on Smart Motorway Projects - M1 corridor, M25, M42/M40
- Lead designer on a £5m Highway improvement scheme
- TransPennine Route upgrade – drainage design
- Staffordshire iPlus contract – Highways and Drainage support
- £30m New 5km trunk road in Manchester – Lead Designer and PM
- £4m Grey to Green Phase 2 for Sheffield City Council – Lead Designer and supervision
- Highways England – Flooding hotspots and alleviation works for Areas 13 and 14
- Kings Cross drainage improvement works
- Trafford Structural Maintenance Programme
- Various developer lead improvements to Container Depots in the UK
- Supporting Staffordshire Lead Local Flood Authority with PLR schemes and HS2 consenting
In a typical week you will:
- Assist in the leading role in the Civils Infrastructure team
- Take ownership of schemes
- Undertake Design Lead role on multiple project work either as a Design Lead on large projects or as Project Manager leading a multi-disciplinary team
- Fulfil design management and discipline role within a design team
- Undertake CDM Principal Designer roles on a project.
- Be a Checker and Approver of Drawings and Designs.
- Experience in the use of AutoCAD, Civils 3D and Micro-drainage
- Delegate and manage a team
- Undertake Line Manager responsibilities
- Prepare fee proposals and manage fee spend on schemes
- Account and Office responsibilities are the responsibilities of others in the Hub
- Experience in working on both Local Authority and developer-led schemes as part of a multi-disciplinary design team
Civils design experience including;
- Site Development and Layouts
- Highway improvement, alignment, and development Schemes (including S38 and S278 agreements)
- Drainage Design
- Client contact and management.
What are we looking for?
- Produce and check design concepts, calculations, design details, drawings specifications, and other technical documents
- Civil Engineering Design to DMRB standards
- Take technical ownership of activities that will include the preparation of highway design solutions for civil engineering works at preliminary and detailed design stages, providing support to Senior Engineers.
- Manage fee for your schemes, identifying change notifications for any change of scope imposed.
- Lead Graduates and Technicians in preparing design solutions for civil engineering projects at preliminary and detailed design stages.
- Work on progressing towards your professional institution
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your Team
Our ideal candidate would be a Chartered Engineer status (CEng, IEng + MICE, CMIHT) with consultancy experience in Highway and Civil Engineering.
Individuals without relevant professional membership but relevant experience in lieu are also welcome to apply and all submissions will be considered to fulfil the growth aspirations of the business.
It is considered that the candidate would require:
- Strong technical skills
- Report writing skills
- Confidence in dealing with clients, either face to face or by telephone
- Ability to work and co-operate within a close-knit team environment
- Computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS office suite and relevant engineering software packages
- Experience in planning and coordinating design projects
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have completed (or agree to) a formal training agreement leading towards Chartered Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council and agreed on programme towards achieving a professional qualification, or have achieved Incorporated Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council
- Have an appreciation of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You can demonstrate developing experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in an Assistant Engineer role or equivalent
- You can produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety, and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You can demonstrate an understanding of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
What makes this role unique?
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental, and childcare vouchers
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have an impact, making a genuine difference in people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. We’ll recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your ambition as well as the shared one.
Engineering Design Process