Canada - TorontoProject Location(s):
Toronto, ON M4C 1M5 CANMinimum Years Experience:
Foreign LocalJob Classification:
Bachelors DegreeJob Family:
Position Description: Coordinates and participates in the preparation of all estimates that are provided by the Estimating Department. Manages and is responsible for all estimating functions that may be required during preconstruction including value engineering, alternative and comparative studies. Takes the lead from an Estimating/Preconstruction basis on projects assigned.
Reports To: Preconstruction Manager, Estimating Manager, Chief Estimator
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
- In conjunction with Estimating Manager, establishes team assignments and identifies estimating review dates.
- Develops winning strategy for bid submissions
- Understands the construction management process and is familiar with analyzing subcontractor proposals, validating/ leveling scopes of work.
- Takes the lead in the development of a conceptual estimate/ bid submission. Acts as a main pint of contact with external consultants and partner organizations to estimate project budget requirements and coordinates Budget/ tender development process on behalf of clients
- Organizes project closing assignments to meet submission deadlines
- Conducts a detailed analysis of the contract documents and specifications, to determine overall project requirements (bonding, insurance, etc.) and identifies any associated risk factors, including the monitoring of published addendums that may alter the original scope of the project
- Understanding of CCDC documents and procurement methods such as stipulated sum, Construction management, design assist, design build would be an asset.
- Solicits pricing from subcontractors and suppliers for labour, equipment and materials, in order to ascertain the most competitive price while meeting Canadian Turner Construction’s safety and quality standards
- In conjunction with Estimating Manager, completes a final bid submission review and oversees the final tender document submission to the client
- Understand the responsibilities and requirements of Canadian Turner Construction’s Ethics and Compliance policy
Qualifications: Certification or accreditation as a Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS) or Gold Seal Estimator (GSC) would be an asset. Extensive knowledge of key principles involved in bid preparation, including quantity take off procedures, sub-trade procurement, pricing and bid closing procedures. Ability to build an estimate without drawings/specifications. Ability to identify risk associated with contract/project documents. Ability to manage and direct work activities of junior estimators. Advanced skills with estimating software system – OST On Screen Takeoff. Understanding and capability to develop preconstruction schedules in Primavera P6 or Microsoft Project. Ability to establish strong working relationships with clients, consultants and subcontractors
Physical Demands: Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
*May perform other duties as assigned.
Turner welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.