About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a General Foreman to join our Highways team to work across the M20 QMB based in Ashford, Kent.What you'll be doing
Liaise with and support the Works Manager/Agent/Section Engineer to coordinate the safe management of a section of work on major projects or control all site activities on a smaller project ensuring HSQE, programme and budget requirements are met.
Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies.
Implement the relevant requirements of the SMS within their area of responsibility.
As a General Foreman, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Ensure the coordination of a section of works on a larger project or entire medium sized project or several smaller projects. To ensure and communication between all parts of the operation team including suppliers, subcontractors, engineering, safety and environmental team and clients team.
- Build and develop the team to deliver all aspects of the project requirements; identify training requirements, review the performance of the workforce and ensure delivery of briefings.
- Provide, monitor and control labour plant and materials to meet the programme.
- Manage sub-contractors and direct workforce.
- Ensure high standard of quality on the works to meet the specification requirements first time and minimise rework.
- Assist engineering team with working method and outputs for production of method statements and programme.
- Ensure accurate, legible and up-to-date allocation sheets are recorded and provided at shift close with delivery tickets and plant returns to the engineering and commercial teams.
- Ensure all records for example inspections, works permits and briefings are up to date and in place.
- Carry out regular safety and environmental inspections and implement recommended courses of action as identified from progress monitoring and management inspections.
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes / variations, subcontractors attendance, and records of work related discussions with client / designer / RE / project team
- Ad hoc duties as job required
- Coordinate senior foreman.
- Support senior foreman and agents, ensuring they have the correct resources to deliver their programmes.
- Set and maintain health & safety culture.
- PVMP facilitator making sure its in place.
- Ensure the team has the correct training to carry out their work roles
- Signing plant and labour allocation sheet to ensure the correct hours are being carried out.
- Attend daily coordination meetings
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Vocational Training (successful experience at Foreman level)
- Understanding of Engineering principles
- Comprehensive understanding and experience of a wide range of construction techniques and best practices.
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- City & Guilds Construction Certificate
- Basic Computer competence (E-mail, MS word, excel & Skanska intranet)
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.