Canada - TorontoProject Location(s):
Toronto, ON M4C 1M5 CANMinimum Years Experience:
Bachelors DegreeJob Family:
Environmental Health and SafetyCompensation:
Position Description: Assist the Project Safety Manager, PX, PM, and Superintendents in enforcing and adhering to Company Environmental Health & Safety and risk management policies and procedures on a construction project. Identify, eliminate, and control hazardous conditions on a project that may lead to injury and/or property damage using job specific safety standards, best management practices, and the Building L.I.F.E. program.
Reports To: Project Safety Manager or Project EHS Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
Assist with the following:
- Educate project staff and Turner Trades personnel on EH&S programs, policies and procedures and provide training on safe work practices.
- Review subcontractor safety programs for completeness and compliance with Turner’s policies, regulation, and owner contractual requirements.
- Promote safe work practices and safe working conditions in accordance with all Federal, Provincial, and Local regulations, and Owner/contractual requirements.
- Administer drug screening program (pre-employment, post-accident, random, and cause) that is consistent with Turner’s and Owner’s requirements.
- Coordinate preconstruction meetings with Project Safety Manager and Superintendent.
- Ensure that subcontractors are conducting the proper training as per OSHA standards.
- Conduct effective worker orientation program for every new employee and administer and record their participation.
- Gather pre-task plans and Job Hazard Analyses for all project contractors based on contractual requirements.
- Conduct safety meetings and issue minutes of meetings as directed by the Project Safety Manager.
- Maintain a log of each subcontractor’s toolbox safety meetings held with their employees.
- Provide safety reports to Project Safety Manager as required.
- Conduct safety audits and recommend corrective action per Company policy and work with Project Safety Manager to issue reports of any violations or unsafe practices to subcontractors for immediate resolution.
Qualifications: Four year degree in Occupational Safety and Health, engineering or equivalent is preferred with at least one year of safety experience or combination of education/multiple years of experience in building construction, and a working knowledge of safety/environmental principles and techniques. Ability to identify known potential exposures and recommend corrective actions. Computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite program. Demonstrates fundamental management, leadership, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills with the ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy weight.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
*May perform other duties as necessary or assigned.
Turner Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available, including for applicants with disabilities, in the application and recruitment process, upon request.
Occupational Safety And Health
Corrective And Preventive Actions