A Balfour Beatty paid internship is the perfect introduction to one of the most interesting and challenging industries in the world. Joining us for twelve months, you’ll have the time to get right under the skin of our business and your role. You’ll turn potential into proven expertise. And you’ll work with people who’ll give you the right foundations for your post-graduation career.
As well as bags of priceless, hands-on experience, you’ll receive a competitive salary and a number of useful benefits. You could also take a big step towards a place on our Graduate Scheme.
Our Civil Design Engineering undergraduate roles will tend to be office based depending on project requirements. Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of civil engineering to support your studies.
Our engineers find physical answers to some of the biggest challenges in our industry. Join them, and you’ll find yourself shaping projects that redefine skylines and fuel societies. Your day to day responsibilities may include:
- Assisting with site investigations
- Developing detailed designs
- Assessing the potential risks of specific projects
- Communicating and liaising effectively with colleagues and architects, subcontractors, contracting civil engineers, consultants, co-workers and clients
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems
- Managing budgets and other project resources
- Managing change, as the client may change his or her mind about the design
- Ensuring relevant parties are notified of changes in the project
- Attending public meetings to discuss projects, especially in a senior role
- Using computer modelling software to analyse data
- Preparing designs
What we’re looking for:
- Have a flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of the programme)
- Have a team focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- Have a driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence key decisions
What you’ll need:
- Be studying for a BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in Civil or Structural Engineering - expecting to achieve a 2:2 or above
- Interest in design
- Ideally, have a full UK driving licence
- Be eligible to work and live in the UK
Salary and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website here to learn more.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact [email protected]
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Closing Date – applications are open until 19th March 2021 however, Balfour Beatty reserves the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.