About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environment and Sustainability Project Partner to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based on our Viking Link project based in Boston, Lincolnshire.
This prestigious Major Project requires our teams to collaborate relentlessly to deliver this contract for our international joint venture client, National Grid-Energinet. Due for completion in 2023, the project will form a critical part of the UKs infrastructure and provide energy security for 1.4 million households.
Our works are to install two HVDC (High Voltage Direct Current) 400Kv cables in ducts through over 60km of land in North East Lincolnshire. It will require the very best in civil and electrical engineering.
We will be designing and installing accesses, compounds and complex crossings, and there will be over a hundred horizontal directional drills. We will be dealing with many landowners, complex planning consents, rich ecology, sites of archaeological interest, and local communities.
To directly partner with the Project Directors/Heads of Operations.
To manage/lead the sustainability/environmental advisors within the allocated area and provide sustainability and environmental co-ordination, support and advice to the projects and regional teams on all aspects of sustainability and the environment, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement. Ensuring contractual and regulatory requirements are delivered. What you'll be doing
As an Environment and Sustainability Project Partner, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Lead and manage the overally capability, development, deployment and performance of the Environment and Sustainability delivery team for a project portfolio
- Implementation of the E+S strategy for the projects
- Provide professional E+S services to the projects
- Providing E+S Leadership. Advise and guide all levels within the business; Regional Managers, Project Managers, Project Engineers, peers, operatives, office staff and subcontractors
- Manage, support, develop and coach Environmental and Sustainability Advisors;
- Co-ordinate specific environmental and sustainability commitments and initiate project impact assessments for multiple contracts and project teams
- Responsible for the management of sustainability and environmental risks and mitigation, consultation with clients, stakeholders and regulators
- Produce environment and sustainability reports externally for customers and internally for the projects as required;
- Utilise the findings from reporting data, assessments, external and internal audits to drive sustainability action plans and inform key business decisions.
- Building and developing relationships with all relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Ownership of E+S Governance
- Influencing continuous improvement
- Promoting the Balfour Beatty Values across their Project /Business area;
- Implementing the standards and expectations across their Project /Business area;
- Work with the Environment+ Sustainability Manager to ensure the company environmental management system is maintained and operated in line with changing standards and legislation on contracts and also that the sustainability action plan is delivered.
We are looking for an established E&S professional with strong technical knowledge and experience of managing a team of at least 5 E&S Advisors/Coordinators. You will be experienced in managing third party technical specialists whilst remaining focused on delivering the overall project. We would ideally like someone who has worked within utilities but remain open to individuals from other engineering sectors.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Proven experience in the Civils/Utilities industry in an environmental and/or sustainability role
- Proven experience of leading a team
- Cost estimation and commercial awareness
- Degree in relevant field
- MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point to a high standard
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to operate in a range of environments.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to positively influence environment and sustainability within projects
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in Implementing ISO
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Internal environmental auditor qualification
- Masters degree in relevant field
- Health and Safety qualification
- Knowledge of the Construction Industry
- Working under or delivering Planning Conditions
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Microsoft Power Point
Environmental Management Systems