About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Carpenter to join our Living Places business unit to work in Hereford.
What you'll be doing
- This role is to operate as a mobile building Fabric Engineer with a Carpentry bias carrying out planned/reactive works.
To be responsible for the repair and maintenance of internal/external building fabric, furniture, pathways and drains including:
- General Carpentry;
- Door maintenance and repair;
- Window/Glazing repair;
- Lock changes/repairs;
- Basic plumbing repairs;
- External repairs i.e. patch brickwork/render /Paving;
- Plastering repairs;
- Stud partition work;
- Unblocking toilets and drains;
- Tiling patch repairs, wall and floor;
- Temporary repairs to flooring carpets, lino and screeds;
- Suspended ceiling repairs;
- Roof repairs;
- Gulley and drain repairs/clearance.
In addition to other ad hoc general maintenance jobs:
Who we're looking for
- Completion of a weekly time-sheet and submit in accordance to the departments procedures;
- If required provide out of hours call out facility on a rota system;
- Provide detailed and accurate reports for any remedial works required whilst attending site;
- Comply with company QA and Departmental procedures;
- Ensure accurate records appertaining to all planned preventative maintenance and the emergency repairs completed;
- Oversee all site activities, both maintenance and project specific and ensure all safety aspects are managed and monitored in accordance with site procedures and requirements;
- Complete field operative Method Statements and risk assessments as necessary;
- Perform all duties in-line with current health and safety legislation and company policy with relevance to safe working practices and the storage of chemicals.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
Why work for us
- City & Guilds/NVQ qualified;
- Recognised apprenticeship;
- Post apprenticeship practical experience;
- Good communication & interpersonal skills;
- Commitment to providing a high quality service to our customer;
- Willing to work flexibly and as a team member;
- Ability to work overtime as required;
- Able to worked unsupervised and prioritise work;
- Ability to be detail conscious;
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.