Charlotte, NC 28209 USAMinimum Years Experience:Travel Involved:Job Type:
Environmental Health and SafetyCompensation:
The BU EHS Director leads the overall EH&S program for the business unit. Partner with the General Manager, Operations Manager, Senior Business Unit Environmental, Health and Safety Director, VP-Environmental, Health and Safety and the business unit staff to enforce company environmental, health and safety policies and procedures. The BUEHSD has supervisory responsibility for all safety professionals in the Business Unit. In addition to their Business Unit responsibilities, contributes to national programs designated by VP-Environmental, Health and Safety and SBUEH&SD.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
- Articulate vision for safety and convey the future they want to create, assuring it aligns with the overall company strategy.
- Identify, eliminate and control hazardous conditions that may lead to injury and/or property damage using safety standards, best management practices, and Building L.I.F.E program.
- Present as a visible leader, influencing and motivating, while modeling the highest standards of Turner’s EH&S organization.
- Create a culture that supports taking responsible risks and where change is expected and supported.
- Drive cultural change and continuous improvement through the development and execution of a comprehensive EH&S program aligned with headquarters policies and guidelines, working closely with Risk group.
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding established goals through the development and execution of annual EH&S plan and related goals aligned with headquarters requirements. Analyze and track results, identify opportunities and implement measures for continuous improvement.
- Initiate and build working relationships with OSHA, Environmental Protection Agency and other regulatory agencies to promote Turner safety programs and manage regulatory exposures and OSHA citations to zero.
- Conduct audits utilizing headquarters approved systems and analyze trends, metrics, reports and incident data. Report to VP-EH&S, GM, OM and SBUEH&SD on overall metrics vs. goals and enforce required program improvements.
- Proactively maintain training and education to remain current on laws impacting their areas of responsibility for compliance with industry requirements and Federal, State and Local regulations. Responsible for disseminating information to BUs.
- Continuously assess safety knowledge and performance throughout all job families and participate in the evaluation process related to EH&S performance. Recommend and follow-through on training to close gaps, ensuring skills are aligned with position requirements.
- Drive the development of EH&S team members; mentor and coach all EH&S professionals. Assure staff are developing to their fullest potential and hold staff accountable to established goals.
- Promote a diverse, inclusive, positive, and respectful environment conducive to employees’ sense of belonging; use strategies to promote team morale and productivity.
- Participate in succession planning process for Safety professionals to build bench strength and support BU staffing needs.
- Promote and support continual professional development in themselves.
- Exemplify expectations of professional development, continuous learning and education, earning CEU credits for required re-certifications.
- Promote Turner through high profile involvement in Local/Regional Organizations.
- Develop and manage Business Unit EH&S departmental budget.
- Negotiate business and subcontract agreements related to EH&S and participate in key business issues and opportunities of the company.
- Evaluate contractors through the Subcontractor Approval Request process and make recommendations to assist BU in risk mitigation.
Four year degree in Environmental Health and Safety, with at least ten (10) years of building construction safety experience or equivalent education and experience. A minimum of OSHA 30 hour training, First Aid/CPR/BBP and AED training and environmental awareness training. Demonstrated knowledge of safety/environmental principles and techniques through completion of other related coursework and/or certifications is required. In addition, achievement of CHST, minimally, is required. Must demonstrate leadership at a senior level and the ability to develop a followership to influence change. High degree of business acumen and decisiveness required. Must work independently and with teams. Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing. Strong presentation, public speaking and facilitation skills. Demonstrated computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office suite programs and proficiency in EH&S applications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Ability to hear bells, alarms, whistles, etc. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This position travels regularly by motor vehicle, and train and/or by air.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee works alternately on-site at the construction work site and in an office environment. On-site may be exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud. In offices, the noise level is quiet to moderately loud.
*May perform other duties as assigned.
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Automated External Defibrillator
Occupational Health And Safety Administration (Osha)