About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Control and Protection Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business. The location for this role is flexible: for the correct candidate consideration will be made to be based in Kintore, Leeds, Maxim or Derby offices.
What you'll be doing
- The main function of the role is to engineer the control and protection designs for electrical substation projects up to a voltage of 400kV;
- The role also includes the General, Planning and Procurement responsibilities.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard Company Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental Procedures and Business Process Manual;
- Contribute to the development and training needs of the Design Team as appropriate to skills level / experience.
- Upon contract award, liaise and co-ordinate contract requirements with Project Manager, customer, external suppliers and other Balfour Beatty Departments at earliest opportunity;
- Establish Design content of work package and the Design resource to achieve the required time scales, in line with Project EMPS, via development of detail engineering design plans;
- Effectively control, update and report on progress throughout contract life, giving estimates to complete and highlight potential resource problems to Design Manager / Project Manager;
- Co-ordinate with other Balfour Beatty Engineering Services Departments as necessary to specify and quantify equipment / material to achieve greatest benefit to the company;
- Report variations in the Contract Scope of Work to the Design Manager / Project Manager, indicate implications and only proceed with these variations following verbal / written approval from the Project Manager;
- Prepare instructions for all materials and special tools required for site and pass this information to the Project Manager;
- Specify any specific test certificates and/or operations & maintenance manuals as part of technical spec and/or purchase order requisition.
Who we're looking for
- Identify all relevant standards and Customer requirements, ensuring compliance with relevant National / International Standards and legislation, and contract specification;
- Design work to be undertaken with due regard to Health, Safety & Environmental Procedures and production of Designer Risk Assessments, as necessary, to fulfil the Companys obligations in compliance with current CDM regulations;
- Examine contract documentation and establish the Companys scope of work including termination boundaries. Where this differs with the tendered contract requirement then this differences should be highlighted to the Project Manager;
- Attend and contribute to Design Review / Contract Close-out Meetings, ensuring that appropriate items are actioned in a timely manner;
- Initiate the preparation of all required drawings and approve all drawings to be submitted for customer / sub-contractor interface;
- In conjunction with other Balfour Beatty Engineering Services Departments, prepare Installation and Commissioning packages, in a timely manner as dictated by the Site Installation & Commissioning Schedule;
- Prepare special Test Specifications and Procedures for the Inspection and Test Department;
- Receive As Installed site drawings and documentation and liaise with other Balfour Beatty Engineering Services Departments to ensure accurate final records are prepared and submitted to client in line with the requirements of the contract specification.
- HNC in Electrical Engineering or higher.
- Liaising with customers and suppliers;
- Overall design and specification of electrical power systems and associated power system components;
- Calculations to demonstrate integrity of designs;
- Microsoft Office Packages.
Why work for us
- Articulate and persuasive;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Have an innovative approach to business solutions and strongly results focused;
- Adaptable and able to respond to change;
- Entrepreneurial and good commercial acumen;
- Self starter capable of meeting tight deadlines;
- High personal integrity;
- Good communication skills verbal and written;
- Highly organised;
- Good forward thinker and planner;
- Able to build strong relationships at all levels;
- Actively involved;
- Highly Professional;
- Innovative & Creative thinker;
- Good analysis and report preparation;
- Strategic thinking;
- Customer focused;
- Credible and inspiring;
- Diplomatic but assertive;
- Tenacious and determined;
- Visionary ability to think outside the box and see the bigger picture;
- Stamina and drive;
- Team builder;
- Ability to perform consistently under pressure;
- Good presentation skills;
- Highly confidential;
- Able to maintain control, whilst remaining flexible.
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Coaching And Mentoring