We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
From complexity comes simplicity. From better thinking, better solutions. Think big, create better
Are you a Senior Environmentalist passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
Transport for Wales has awarded KeolisAmey a multi-billion-pound contract to run the country’s rail network. This is the biggest ever contract to be awarded in Wales and we will work closely with Transport for Wales to deliver a new era for passengers and for Wales, with more services, newer trains, better stations and a more reliable network. As part of this contract we will be delivering the £738million Core Valley Lines Transformation (as part of the South Wales Metro), in partnership with the Welsh Government, Transport for Wales and the Cardiff Capital Region. The Role
Due to increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Senior Environmentalist. The successful candidate will be part of the Environmental & Sustainability Team in our Cardiff office, providing support to the team leader, delivering technically sound environmental outcomes in the delivery of commissions undertaken by Amey Consulting, as well as supervising the actions of more junior members of the team.
Being an experienced Senior Environmentalist at Amey Consulting, you’ll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it’s further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you. In a typical week you will:
We want to hear from you if:
- Support the project lead on all environmental & sustainability requirements for the project.
- Assist with identifying, forecasting and resourcing environmental and sustainability project requirements in relation to both the design and construction programmes.
- Coordinate and plan the delivery of your own specific environmental & sustainability deliverables and technical reporting required as part of planning and licence applications; utilising and managing both the in-house team and external sub-contractors.
- Work as part of the team providing advice and direction to the environmental team as well as the design teams and Principal Contractors to ensure compliance with legislation, licencing and planning commitments.
- Mentor junior members of the team ensuring their professional development needs are identified and delivered.
- Organising and co-ordinating meetings with Transport for Wales, Local Authority, NRW and other stakeholders as required.
- Working with design teams to ensure that environmental and sustainability obligations are being met through design.
- Working with design and construction teams to ensure that the relevant surveys and licences have been carried out/obtained within set timeframes without compromising the design or construction programme.
- Attend engineering and design integration meetings and be able to authoritatively communicate key requirements to ensure they are captured within preliminary and detailed design.
- A strong undergraduate degree in Geography, Geo-environmental, Earth Science, Environmental or similar/equivalent.
- A relevant masters degree in a discipline associated with Environmental Science, Sustainable Development or similar (desirable).
- A minimum of 6 years demonstrable post-graduate experience preferably in a professional consultancy role (or similar) encompassing large rail/infrastructure projects.
- Full Membership (or working towards) of IEMA or equivalent.
- Chartered status (CEnv, CSci)
- Have prior knowledge and understanding of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015, Environment (Wales) Act 2016 and Active Travel (Wales) Act 2013 and understand how this legislation is embedded within infrastructure projects in Wales.
- Have experience working to deliver sustainable solutions and outcomes; through both design and construction.
- Knowledge of the planning process and permitted development would be beneficial.
- Experience of working in rail design and on large railway infrastructure projects.
- Experience of working closely with regulatory authorities and various stakeholders.
- Experience of working with a team of multi-skilled environmental and sustainability consultants and/or third-party contractors.
- Be confident in making key decisions on a daily basis.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan and deliver works in line with budgets and programme deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental and sustainability issues and capture feedback.
- Health and Safety awareness, especially safe working practices and risk assessment related to fieldwork.
- Personal Trackside Safety (PTS) Accreditation
- Valid driving licence.
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
What else is better about working for Amey?
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.