About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Civils Design Engineer to join our Multi Utilities Team. Although this role is currently based in Manchester we have a little flexibility around location and welcome applications from those in the North West and West Midlands.
You will be working within the Multi Utilities Team supporting internal and external clients. We offer expertise in the management of onsite utilities that have the potential to clash with major projects. Our current pipeline of work includes several schemes for HS2, Anglian Water AMP7 and some major diversions for a GBP250m upgrade to Junction 10 of the M25.
We are looking for Civil Engineers with experience of earthworks, structures and utilities. This role will offer the opportunity to work with and learn from experienced people who share a passion for working together to deliver technical excellence.What you'll be doing
As a Design Engineer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Autonomous submission of your deliverables on time and to budget
- Production of all relevant calculations
- Maintain highly detailed project diaries to support the PM with timely Early Warnings and Compensation Events
- Commit to working within a BIM Level 2 Environment
- Support, mentor and coach others when opportunities present themselves
- Implement project requirements to fully meet the client specification and in accordance with relevant standards
- Prepare own discipline designs, drawings and schedules to the required quality
- Contribute to the production of Project Management Plans
- Support the preparation of scheme evaluations, design statements, tenders and any other required deliverables
- Have a good understanding of all relevant standards, Codes of Practice, Health & Safety Legislation and current relevant design methods
- Awareness of BIM standards such as BS1192, PAS1192 and ISO19650
- Promoting BIM and digital delivery best practice
- Engage in client, contractor and third party liaison, including review of third party design proposals
- Support learning and development of graduates and other team members
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- HNC/HND in Civil Engineering
- Degree in Civil Engineering
- Time served relevant experience
- Experience in the design of water and wastewater pipeline schemes
- Experience in civil engineering; deep excavations, earthworks, temporary works, structures
- People management and leadership
- Strong communication skills, adaptable to stakeholders
- Willing to take the lead proactively
- Extensive use of Electronic Document Systems (BC, Projectwise etc.)
- Strong understanding of the BIM digital environment (MIDP, TIDP etc.)
- Competence in BIM model viewing/reviewing
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Either a Technology, Engineering or Management based BSc, MSc, BEng or MEng with appropriate experience
- Experience working with gas networks
- Previous construction site experience
- Hydraulic modelling
- Diversion and resilience projects
- CAD 2D and 3D (primarily civils 3D)
- BIM Modelling
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.