About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a QUANTITY SURVEYOR to join our Living Places business unit to work in Hereford.
What you'll be doing
- To carry out the commercial management, administration and provide support to the Service Areas ensuring that the financial targets of the project(s) are achieved. To build meaningful relationships with our Clients and suppliers in conjunction with the Service Area teams.
As a QUANTITY SURVEYOR, you will have the following accountabilities:
Who we're looking for
- Strive to optimise the profitability of the Company
- Participate in the management of Service Area budgets in conjunction with the Construction Managers, understanding fluctuations in margins against budgets, and agreeing changes and solutions with the Service Area teams and Senior QS prior to implementation
- Ensure that the Company achieves the optimum cashflow position by preparing and submitting applications for payment in accordance with the contract terms and conditions
- Ensure the timely valuing of variations and the preparation of final accounts
- Ensure the accuracy of Service Area financial reporting for inclusion within the companys forecasts
- Participate in the Service Area planning and development
- Produce Service Area specific information and attend team and Client monthly meetings
- Complete the setting up of a new project / obtaining of appropriate approval, and developing financial targets, and managing the pre-contract expenditure within the Service Area budgets
- Develop a good knowledge in quantity surveying skills and practice
- Develop experience and proficiency in constructions methods, processes and the review and commercial / cost implications of all technical and design information
- Foster good communication with project colleagues and promote profitability and cash management
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Must be a team player but also able to work on own initiative
- Experience of highways maintenance
- Must have a working knowledge of main forms of Contract including NEC & JCT
- Working understanding of procurement practices and forms of main and sub-contract
- Customer / account management including proven communication skills
- Track record in a commercial environment
- Good understanding of Cost / Value process and reporting
The following experience/qualifications are desirable:-
Why work for us
- HNC/HND/Degree in Quantity Surveying
- MRICS &/or MCIOB (or working towards)
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.