About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a DRAINAGE OPERATIVE to join our Living Places business unit to work in Manchester and Rochdale.
What you'll be doing
- Required to work within contract completing reactive, emergency and winter maintenance operational activities; utilising knowledge and experience to ensure that all works are completed to the required Health, Safety and Quality standards.
Driving gully vehicle and operating drainage machinery
- Responsible for carrying out all aspects of Highways Maintenance works including routine and cyclical maintenance, minor civils, emergency attendance, making sites safe and temporary / permanent repairs.
You will have the following accountabilities:
- Working within a culture of Zero Harm embedding the 4 Golden Rules within all aspects of service delivery
- Report all observations Close Calls and Good Practices
- Compliance with all statutory and company procedures across all the functions, specifically H & S
- Develop and maintain good working relationships across all teams
Technical / Operations:
- Carry out a broad range of Highway maintenance activities - safety, efficiently and to a high standard
- Conduct operational activities against required quality standards
- Undertake required work progress against agreed programmes
- Select and undertake appropriate work methods to ensure the work is completed right first time
- Ensure that work activities meet project work requirements
- Utilise the effective deployment and use of plant, equipment or machinery
- Organise, control and monitor supplies of materials
- Evaluate job information / solution and recommend improvements
- Carry out all reasonable work instructions via the handheld device
- Support the emergency service provision in and out of hours
- Support the delivery of winter service provision
- Contribute to the overall profitability of the services providing through effective use of resources
Who we're looking for
- Provide customer service in construction
- Be an ambassador for Balfour Beatty at all times
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Health and Safety first
- Adaptable to changing situations
- Team work
- Willing to learn
- Listen to and do what is required
- Pride in work
- Honest / Act with integrity
- Customer facing
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Conduct
- Willing to share knowledge
- Quality and accuracy of work
- Continually striving to improve performance
- Good Communication skills
The following experience is desirable:
- Gritting roads
- Road signs
- Block Laying
- Call Outs
All other training will be provided. The following Qualifications are desirable:
Why work for us
- L2 Winter Maintenance
- Class 1 Licence
- Class 2 Licence
- Roller / Dumper
- Telescopic Handler
- Safe Digging qualification
- 180 Excavator
- 360 Excavator
- Trailer Test
- Confined Spaces
- Deep Excavation
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.