About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Control and Protection Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Kinton.
What you'll be doing
- The main function of the role is to engineer the control and protection designs for electrical substation projects;
- Extensive knowledge of electrical engineering applications and concepts, power system technologies and protection systems;
- Comprehensive knowledge of protection and control systems for high voltage power transmission electrical systems;
- In depth knowledge of preparing and interpreting single line diagrams, schematics, related drawings documentation and other outputs;
- Knowledgeable in electrical protection systems, system components, engineering requirements and standards;
- Familiar with quality assurance, business processes and applications;
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills;
- In addition to the responsibilities given below, the specific detailed roles and responsibilities of the Substation control & protection engineer is identified in the attached appendix.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard Company Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental Procedures and Business Process Manual;
- Contribute to the development and training needs of the Design Team as appropriate to skills level / experience.
- Upon contract award, liaise and co-ordinate contract requirements with project manager, customer, external suppliers and other Balfour Beatty departments at earliest opportunity;
- Establish design content of work package and the design resource to achieve the required time scales, in line with project programme, via development of detail engineering programmes;
- Effectively control, update and report on progress throughout contract life, giving estimates to complete and highlight potential resource problems to the Design Delivery Manager;
- Report variations in the contract scope of work to the Design Delivery Manager & Project Manager indicate implications and only proceed with these variations following verbal / written approval from the Project Manager.
- Co-ordinate with other Balfour Beatty departments as necessary to specify and quantify equipment / material to achieve greatest benefit to the company;
- Prepare instructions for all materials and special tools required for site and pass this information to the Project Manager and Project Assistant for authorisation and processing with procurement;
- Specify any specific test certificates and/or operations & maintenance manuals as part of technical spec and/or purchase order requisition.
Who we're looking for
- Identify all relevant standards and Customer requirements, ensuring compliance with relevant National / International Standards and legislation, and contract specification;
- Examine contract documentation and establish the Companys scope of work including termination boundaries. Where this differs with the tendered contract requirement then this differences should be highlighted to the Project Manager;
- Ensure design work is undertaken with due regard to Health, Safety & Environmental Procedures as necessary;
- Attend and contribute to Design Review / Contract Close-out Meetings, ensuring that appropriate items are actioned in a timely manner;
- Liaise with designers draughtspersons and draughtspersons on drawings requirements;
- Carry out engineering checks as deemed necessary and in line with the requirements of the Business Process Manual;
- Organise the preparation of installation and commissioning packages, in a timely manner as dictated by the project programme;
- Where necessary prepare test specifications and procedures for the inspection and test department;
- Receive As Installed site drawings and documentation and liaise with other Balfour Beatty departments, subcontractors and suppliers, to ensure accurate final records are prepared and submitted to client in line with the requirements of the contract specification;
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- HNC in Electrical Engineering or higher;
- Liaising with customers and suppliers;
- Overall design and specification of electrical power systems and associated power system components;
- Calculations to demonstrate integrity of designs;
- Microsoft Office Packages.
Why work for us
- Integrity and professionalism;
- Teamwork ethic;
- Strives for excellence in design delivery/customer relations;
- Demonstrates respect for team members, customers and suppliers.
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.