TRAINEE CAD TECHNICIAN
“As CAD Technician you’ll produce high quality, clear and concise construction drawings”
Galliford Try is one of the UK’s most formidable construction businesses with a vision to be a people-orientated, progressive business, driven by our values to deliver lasting change for our stakeholders and the communities we work in. Our purpose is to improve people’s lives through building the facilities and infrastructure that communities need, providing opportunities for our people to learn, grow and progress, working with our supply chain to promote the very best working practice and caring for the environment in which we work.
We do this by holding true to our values, delivering excellence for our clients and the community, being passionate about our role in providing vital services, putting integrity at the heart of our business by doing the right thing, and collaborating with our clients, supply chain and stakeholders to deliver lasting change and long-term value.
As one of the UK’s top principal contractors you’ll have the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s most exciting projects offering you stability as well as the chance to stretch your capabilities and realise long held career goals. You will be joining diverse teams working at a high professional level with exceptional levels of commitment.
OUR CENTRAL ENGINEERING SERVICES BUSINESS
Central Engineering Services is an in-house team providing engineering support to the whole of the wider Construction & Investments Division. It acts as an internal consultant so that customers pay for the services provided based on agreed hourly charge-out rates. A key focus of the team is the provision of a high quality service which exceeds customer requirements leading to strong relationships with all parts of the business and generating repeat work.
The services provided by Central Engineering Services include alternative solutions, value engineering, buildability and problem/defect resolution including specification compliance issues. The team also provides design and design checking services for a full range of temporary works requirements from excavations and working platforms to formwork, falsework & scaffolding. Site based TWCs & TWSs are also assisted through participation in technical reviews, site visits where required and audits to check compliance with the temporary works procedure.
As a junior level Cad Technician you will be integral to the existing draughting team, working towards successfully delivering technical drawings in for a wider team of engineers, to clearly convey design intent to clients across a broad spectrum of projects within the Galliford Try business.
Projects include major highways schemes, bridges, and structures, building construction, environmental and water, including ongoing works within our coveted framework arrangments. You will be expected to liaise with the site teams to gather and qualify information relating to designs and to issue drawings where necessary.
This role will involve hands-on learning in a fast-paced environment where you will develop and progress your technical knowledge up to being able to work independently in producing clear and concise temporary and permanent works drawing output to the quality required by the current CES CAD standards.
In delivering high quality, easily readable drawings to our site-based clients, CES use AutoCAD as our main draughting tool, and while drawings are predominantly 2D due to the nature of our work, opportunities to use 3D visualisation are growing rapidly. Occasionally, site attendance is required to take measurements and surveys existing features to assist the creation of more accurate design and output.
With current Covid-19 restrictions, you will be expected to have long periods of time lone working, or working at a distance from others so must be able to demonstrate your ability to focus oneself into the task at hand whilst looking ahead for jobs-in-pipeline to ensure your working time is best spent. Microsoft Teams plays a crucial part in communications and you must be comfortable talking with other team members in calls.
- Participate in creating a knowingly safe working environment.
- Strive to enhance your own technical knowledge, interrogating information given to provide the best possible solution.
- Have an eye for detail, paying attention to the presentation of information.
- Work towards the production of high quality, clear and concise construction drawings.
- Assist in maintaining in-house engineering library in an orderly state including updating of catalogue
- GCSEs at minimum grade C in Mathematics, Physics and English Language.
- Art, Graphic Design or Resistant Materials at GCSE may be useful as drawings skills and understanding of materials are key aspects of the role.
- Knowledge / experience of using computer aided draughting software, in particular AutoCAD would be beneficial.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with a wide range of people within the company.
- Good time management skills and the ability to prioritise work and manage a number of tasks concurrently
- Good team worker but also able to work under own initiative.
- Hardworking, conscientious with good attention to detail.
- Highly motivated and able to work under pressure and prioritise to meet deadlines.
In return we offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges as well as a competitive salary and benefits package including pension, healthcare, discretionary bonus and 28 days holiday plus bank holidays. We will always consider flexible working hours and arrangements.
For more information on this CAD Technician role or to enquire about other positions available within our Central Engineering Services business please contact Donna Apperley [ Link removed ]
Attention To Detail