About the role
Balfour Beatty are recruiting for a Senior Planner to join our Highways team to work on a GBP250m project at J10 of the M25 near Wisley.
This is an environmentally sensitive project involving the widening of of the M25 and 4 km of the A3 including works to the central reservation, hard shoulder and upgrades to all associated technology.
We are looking for a P6 Planner with experience of both pre-construction and delivery of similar sized highways projects. Experience of highways technology and stakeholder management of environmentally sensitive projects would be advantageous. What you'll be doing
As a Senior Planner you will be:
Who we're looking for
- Responsible at tender stage to the Bid Manager for the range of activities involved in the project planning life cycle;
- Ensuring that the programme content is functionally compliant with the planning procedures and guidance;
- Identifying planning scope, major constraints and contract requirements
- Identifying major quantities and factors affecting the programme;
- Establishing and agreeing with Operations construction outputs and agreeing working hours with appropriate Estimator;
- Establishing and agreeing with Operations and Bid Team key methods of construction, sequencing, installation and commissioning;
- Producing and documenting the planning deliverables including programmes, planning philosophy, presentations and reports;
- Producing the Tender Programme and supporting information in accordance with the tender requirements;
- Developing overall programmes, issue to all parties for review and implement recommendations, innovation and best practice as applicable;
- Reconciling company and sub-contract plant/labour and major materials elements in conjunction where appropriate Applying resource levelling techniques as necessary;
- Interfacing with third parties to identify and resolve issues;
- In addition to the above, at contract stage the Senior Planner is accountable to the Project Lead;
- Ensuring that the Contract Programme is produced, managed and maintained in accordance with the planning procedures;
- Planning strategy and the timing & sequence of the Contract Programme activities;
- Issuing and communicating the Contract Programme to the Project Lead for onward issue to Client and Project Team;
- Ensuring that all other project planning and programming necessary for the execution of the contract is properly undertaken;
- Providing support, as required to the BIM Co-ordinators to meet the project requirements or tender submission deliverables;
- Set up appropriate lean visual programme metrics to assist the Project Team to timely deliver projects and improve productivity, performance and safety of projects;
- Living the Balfour Beatty values;
- Ensuring a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Supporting the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
Why work for us
- Substantial experience of planning services within large complex environments within the construction and engineering industry;
- Good experience in the use of planning techniques and the required planning tool-sets;
- Good understanding of various forms of tender documents, contract documents and specifications;
- Good understanding of various methods of planning, programming and progress monitoring;
- Good understanding of risk and opportunity management with particular reference to planning/programming;
- Good understanding of the events that initiate, and of the methods used to demonstrate, delay or change entitlement;
- Good understanding of the construction market, methods of construction, plant, equipment and labour requirements;
- Relevant CSCS Card;
- A degree, or HND in a relevant subject is desirable, as is Professional membership of one or more of the following: RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/CIBSE;
- Plus additional skills from the CSUK Planning Development and Gap Analysis Tool.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.