About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Projects Commercial Manager ( One Alliance ) to join our Water business unit to work in Peterborough.
What you'll be doing
- Accountable for the commercial and cost management of a project or programme of projects from inception to close out reporting directly to an Integrated Projects Leader (IPL,) ensuring that maximum efficiencies are obtained and full compliance with all Alliance and Anglian Water governance procedures is achieved;
- Providing a commercial challenge to the IPL and his team on all project matters.
As a Projects Commercial Manager you will be:
Who we're looking for
- Ensuring robust estimates are provided that are aligned to scope and makes due allowance for all risks and opportunities;
- Managing the procurement process including ensuring that all strategies are developed and agreed and that tender processes including invitation, return and negotiation are followed correctly;
- Making sure subcontracts are properly prepared and reflect the agreed scope;
- Making sure subcontracts are properly managed in accordance with contract requirements including compliance with all responses to communications, including payments, compensation events, programme submissions, etc., and that all contract files are maintained and kept up to date;
- Providing accurate live forecasting taking into account the project programme and reporting in accordance with the respective WBS/CBS;
- Making sure actual costs are properly monitored and assessed against the baseline estimate, in particular, all site costs including direct labour, plant & materials, all alliance staff bookings, costs and challenge and variance to the plans;
- Providing reports on actual costs v estimate and identifying underlying reasons for any variance and resolution so All GRNs are undertaken in a timely manner in accordance with Anglian Water system requirements;
- Overseeing the timely issue of early warnings and advising the IPL on all matters related to compliance with Alliance and Anglian Water governance;
- Ensuring that proper records are kept so that all financial information for audits and cost assurance is readily available;
- Making sure final accounts are prepared timely and accurately;
- Ensuring that mitigation plans are in place and implemented;
- Proactively management of opportunities including identifying and implementing plans to realise;
- Ensuring that all identified efficiencies are monitored as to progress and report to the IPL any variances to the plan;
- Making sure any withheld, disputed or disallowed costs are reported to the IPL;
- Making sure any inadmissible costs are not included within the project/programme costs.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
Why work for us
- Educated to Degree/HNC level or equivalent;
- Managing/Leading a team;
- Contract administration (working with NEC suite of contracts);
- Managing change;
- Risk and opportunity management;
- Stake Holder management;
- Acts as the commercial conscience of the IPL, challenges delivery team;
- Operates fairly, honestly and with integrity;
- Champions collaboration and open communication;
- Value for Money mentality;
- Takes ownership and leads with a strong commercial focus on out-performance and contractual requirements, showing an ability to work under pressure whilst supporting the team;
- Positive forward thinking decision maker with the skills to proactively manage the project and the commercial team;
- Capable of building strong personal relationships through a supportive empathetic style to enable the formation of high performing teams Listens, understands and adjusts;
- Strategic thinker with the ability to create strong relationships with key stakeholders within the organisation and to influence decision making;
- Creates drive and momentum to deliver.
Balfour Beatty - Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The @One Alliance (Project)
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group has been a member of Anglian Waters @one Alliance since 2004, delivering a number of major water projects.
The @one Alliance is a collaborative organisation of consultants and contractors working together to deliver more than half of Anglian Waters capital investment programme. Partners on the project are Anglian Water (Client) Balfour Beatty, Barhale, MMB, MWH, Skanska and Sweco.
The contract is based from an integrated office at Peterborough offering a collaborative, innovative and unique working environment with a subsidised caf(C), free parking and teams focused on the customers we serve within the Anglian Water region.
Based in Peterborough, with good transport links from Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire and Rutland, the roles include all engineering disciplines, quantity surveyors, project delivery managers plus many more.
The collaborative working environment allows our teams to develop many technical and personal skills to enhance future personal opportunities within the alliance project.About us
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group has been a member of Anglian Waters @one Alliance since 2004, delivering several major water projects.
The @one Alliance is a collaborative organisation of consultants and contractors working together to deliver more than half of Anglian Waters capital investment programme.
The Anglian Water @one Alliance will design and build around 800 schemes worth approximately GBP1.5billion between April 2020 and March 2025, known as AMP7 the current five-year investment period, working closely with Anglian Water operations teams and other key stakeholders.
The contract is for the entire five-year regulatory period, from 2020 to 2025, with extensions which could take it to 2030, making it one of the longest collaborations in the sector. It operates within an alliance of delivery partners set up by Anglian Water.
As a stakeholder within the Anglian Water @one Alliance, Balfour Beatty provide both design and construction services across the whole of Anglian Waters region, which is the largest by geographic area in the UK, stretching from the Humber to the Thames estuary and from Buckinghamshire to the East Coast. Work is mainly focussed on clean water Infrastructure (water mains), but also includes wastewater infrastructure and both water and wastewater non-infrastructure projects, such as treatment works and pumping stations.
The @One Alliance overview
There has never been a more exciting time to be part of the nationally leading Anglian Water @one Alliance. As we embark on AMP7 and the challenges that will bring we are pushing the boundaries of innovation and efficiency to dramatically change the way we work.
Whether we are building state-of-the-art Water Treatment Centres or using the very best in 'no-dig' technology to improve sewer networks, whilst causing minimal disruption to customers, we are always at the forefront of innovation, pushing ourselves further and further.
We empower our people to lead, be safe, healthy and successful by supporting them and providing exposure to a wide range of opportunities for development as well as the very latest in sustainability innovation and digital transformation.