About the role
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) has an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor to join our commercial team to work in/across Birmingham.
Assists in protecting the BBV commercial position by developing and implementing an in-depth understanding of contractual, commercial, insurance and legal processes relating to contracts.
Develops and maintains a high level of commercial and technical knowledge and works closely with the delivery team to develop techniques and solutions to meet business and customer needs. What you'll be doing
Who we're looking for
- Develop understanding and working knowledge of project start up and close out procedures.
- Carries out subcontract procurement.
- Procure materials and off site services in an efficient manner and ensure appropriate records are kept.
- Prepare work package content sheets as part of the project team.
- Prepare subcontract invitations to tender and evaluate tender returns.
- Understand the importance of the supply chain to deliver continuous improvement in terms of time, cost, quality and learning of all parties.
- Identify, manage, reduce and eliminate unnecessary costs and inefficient activities
- Prepare material wastage reconciliations.
- Review plant and equipment schedules to ensure efficiency of use.
- Ensure that any Change is identified through participation in regular and detailed review of construction information, measured against the contract requirements.
- Ensure that all Change is challenged where the performance of the project could be affected
- Ensure that the cost (time, and money) of all client Change is recovered.
- Contribute to the programming and sequencing of the project from a commercial perspective.
- Experience working as a Quantity Surveyor on Civils or Infrastructure projects.
- Degree qualified.
The following qualifications are highly advantageous:
Why work for us
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totalling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.