About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Sub Agent to join our Highways team to work in Kent at the A2 Pepperhill Compound.
What you'll be doing
- To lead and control a section of the works, according to a specific discipline. Management of a team of Section Engineers & Site Engineers within same discipline.
As a Sub Agent you will:
Health Safety & Environmental:
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities;
- Motivate team and manage performance; monitor the competency of team members and undertake training/ coaching as appropriate.
- Review Method Statements and Risk Assessments and makes improvements as appropriate;
- Able to lead an Accident / Incident Investigation (HFACS and Four Page Report);
- Carries out trend analysis and identifies improvement areas from audits and near misses;
- Carry out field audits and confirms the sufficiency of control documentation;
- Production and implementation of Permits to Work, specifically Confined Space Permit and Hot Works Permits;
- Strong understanding of temporary works and timescales for implementation into the works.
- Guide & coach subordinates in technical requirements and techniques of setting out;
- Guide and coaches subordinates in resolution of construction issues, drawing on experience and accepted industry best practice.
- Ownership of whole process of production, checking and submission of Handover Documentation (Green Files or equivalent);
- Implement systems and processes to support construction of the works in accordance with the specification (eg Materials Approval, NCR, Handover Documentation);
- Carry out trend analysis of the above and identifies improvement areas for non conformance and business improvement;
- Carry out Independent Inspections of their own section and of others;
- Carry out Site Audits to check works and documentation compliance;
- Coachesless experienced staff;
- Liaise with designer to resolve technical issues.
- Produce a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software;
- Track and monitors KPI compliance and recommends improvements to systems to maintain team production;
- Establish monitors of production, translated to graphical form from the Programme to aid understanding of current status and identification of requirements for intervention;
- Cross references section programme to three weekly programme and ensures compatibility.
Who we're looking for
- Maintain accurate diary, including dialogue with external organisations (subcontractors);
- Produce a budget from the resourced programme and monitors / reviews weekly costs;
- Involved in the procurement of subcontractors;
- Manage sub contractors;
- Understand cost and value;
- Draft correspondence to sub contractors, suppliers and Client.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
The following qualities/experience are essential:
Health Safety & Environmental:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately. Suggests and implements improvements to systems;
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity; experienced at encouraging direct reports to do the same and managing a team to ensure tasks are carried out effectively and key messages cascaded;
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights;
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility;
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card. SSSTS or SMSTS qualified;
- Excellent team player, able to work competently and independently without continuous supervision;
- Strong communication skills with good interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Solution orientated approach to issue resolution;
- Excellent role model for development of team members and demonstrates required behaviours to align to project and team objectives.
- Understands method statements and risk assessments, able to develop new and improved safe systems of work;
- Understands the principles of Accident / Incident Investigation and has good working knowledge of the process;
- Good working knowledge of current H&S Legislation.
- A full understanding of technical requirements and techniques of setting out and coaching of team members;
- Allocates correct resource levels and identifies additional requirements;
- Track record of solution orientated approach to issue resolution.
- Understands the Organisational Business Management Systems and processes;
- Strong understanding of requirements for handover, including certification.
- Able to produce a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software;
- Able to measure and track KPIs for enhanced productivity;
- Strong knowledge and management of construction process in one or more of the following areas: Earthworks/Drainage, Pavement, Comms, Structures, Roadworks.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Awareness of procurement practice;
- Experienced at producing detailed records and correspondence for commercial recovery
Why work for us
- Good leadership skills;
- Wide ranging independent judgement evident;
- Has achieved professional accreditation (eg ICE, IHT).
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
click here to continue.-->
Coaching And Mentoring