San Diego, CA 92128 USAMinimum Years Experience:Travel Involved:Job Type:
Bachelors DegreeJob Family:
Position Description: Support, Estimating Team, Lead Estimator, andPreconstruction Manager in all estimating functions throughout preconstructionphase launch process. Manage value engineering, budget controls, alternativeand comparative studies, constructability reviews and Target Value Design andensure complete, accurate, and well-supported estimates, bids, and GuaranteedMaximum Price (GMP).
Reports To: Preconstruction Manager or Regional Preconstruction Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
Analyze cost data, unit prices, general conditions,general requirements costs, and develop information to be “rule of thumb” for all building systems estimated costs.Participate and contribute to the Launch Matrix for each milestone.Coordinate with Operations Lead tosupport preparation, scheduling, evaluating, executing, and managing LaunchMatrix and Launch Matrix meetings for each estimate milestone.Coordinate with Lean Manager to develop and execute Pull Plans for design, estimate and GMP schedules.Provide input to constructabilityreviews and coordinate with Operations Lead to ensure timely completion ofreviews and incorporate into milestone estimates, to extent required by contract.Prepare comparison analysis to previous estimate and develop clear and concise message to explain variances for each projectstakeholder.Generate, coordinate and manage Budget Control Reports between each milestone estimate to manage cost events and value engineering opportunities. Provide variance reports for each milestone estimate to communicate scope development.Lead or support establishing the Target Value Design process as appropriate for assigned projects.Other activities, duties, and responsibilities as assigned.
- Receive, file, and distribute design documents tointernal team members.
- Coordinate subcontractor bid lists with procurement for budgetpricing and bidding.
- Manage distribution of current designdocuments for subcontractor budgeting and bidding; ensure budgets and bids accountfor sufficient subcontractor input.
- Review design documents for completion;assemble comments and requests for additional information needed to providecomplete estimates.
- Review and confirm all previously approved documentrevisions into design documents; record and report all exceptions.
- Attend pre-bid meetings and subcontractor site walk-throughs.
- Visit sites to evaluate existing conditions and identify and capture any scope that may not be included in the design documents
- Support the Lead Estimator or Preconstruction Manager in the set-up of the estimate, estimate schedule, and responsibility matrix
- Perform quantity take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for all assigned trades and building systems
- Provide pricing for value engineering, alternates,options, and special studies.
- Utilize Building Information Models (BIM) for quantitytake-off and visualization to support complete estimate preparation.
- Assist in developing plans to improve Estimatingworkflows, procedures, and standards.
- Prepare subcontractor bid proposal formsand subcontractor bid recording sheets for assigned trades, evaluatesubcontractor input for scope inclusion, and identify scope gaps and overlaps,coordinate with other staff managing trades.
- Ensure complete and accurate pricingwithin estimate or Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP), reflect recent pricing dataand subcontractor bids or budgets.
- Participate in internal estimate review meetings.
- Lead coordination of operational inputduring estimating, bidding, and GMP process; ensure estimate incorporatesdetailed General Conditions/Requirement (GC/GRs) study and site logistics andBuilding LIFE as prepared by Operations.
- Develop, lead, or support assembly ofall estimate, bid or GMP documents required by and submitted to owner;coordinate requirements with CM Agreement.
- Active participation in estimate and GMP review meetingswith architects, engineers, and owners. Incorporate comments, feedback, and input into revised estimates or GMP’s and assemblerevised documents for final submission..
- Take lead role or support role in Lump Sum bids.
- Train and manage Estimators, including performance evaluations for those staff assigned.
- Support and enhance relationship development with owners,architects, subcontractors and vendors.
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited and credentialed degree program in Engineering, Construction Management, Building Construction or similar, plus 4+ years as Estimator following experience in project engineering, field supervision or purchasing
- Building construction, materials, systems, market conditions, trade practices knowledge
- Conceptual ability, able to work with minimum information and quickly develop understanding of owner/architect requirements
- Demonstrate imaginative, innovative, and succinctapproach to project estimation
- Familiarity with operating procedures and methods ofother departments – Procurement, Cost, Accounting, etc.
- Complete knowledge of estimating documents and ability toprovide accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis of documents
- Good leadership, and able to manage competing demands,and meet established deadlines
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced computer skills, MS Office, and familiar withTurner’s estimating software
Physical Demands: Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
*May perform other duties as assigned.
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor