We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work, and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality.
We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions. Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
As a result of the growth of the Sheffield office, our Structures team has a requirement for an Assistant Engineer with Bridges experience to work on a variety of Local Authority and Highways Agency schemes.
Develop, and assist in developing, designs from concept to detailed design using local and national guidance and best practice to achieve cost-effective solutions in accordance with the Client's requirements. Produce, and assist in producing, feasibility studies, engineering solutions, design concepts. design details, calculations, drawings, specifications, reports, and other technical documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures.
Provide support to a Senior Engineer within a project design team to fulfil the project requirements, ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards, and ensure delivery on time, within budget, and to the quality required.
In a typical week you may:
Skills & experience
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence, generally comprising design or assessment of elements of steel, concrete, or masonry highways structures;
- Be confident to work under minimum supervision and competent to check the work of others and supervise less experienced or junior staff;
- Prepare structures feasibility studies, inspection, assessment and technical reports, and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures;
- Plan and carry out site visits, surveys, and bridge inspections;
- Management of own workload to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and to the required standard;
- Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental, and all other appropriate regulations
- Prepare drawings and documents in relation to design work undertaken by self or others
- Take responsibility for the direction and supervision of junior team members on a project-by-project basis;
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment;
We want to hear from you if:
- A Masters or Bachelors’ degree in Civil/Structural Engineering;
- A minimum of 2 years post-graduate work experience in structural inspection, assessment, and design of highways structures (bridges, retaining walls, culverts, etc.);
- Experience of working on structural design codes, and experience of working at the Highways England DMRB. Experience of working for Local Authorities is desirable
- Working towards completion of Initial Professional Development (IPD) with a view towards gaining a professional qualification from a recognised, suitable institution within 2 to 3 years
- Computer literate and conversant with the MS Office suite. Experience with appropriate engineering software packages (AutoCAD, Revit, structural analysis packages such as LUSAS, SuperSTRESS, Tedds, Structural Bridge Design)
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work within a small team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines. Experience in dealing with clients, developers, other consultants, and the public
- Experience in bridge inspections (Principal/Special)
- Experience in the production of drawings, specifications, and other design package documentation
- Ability to supervise junior members of staff (graduate engineers, technicians, students) in undertaking assigned tasks
- Client-focused approach to service delivery.
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have an impact, making a genuine difference in people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.