We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work, and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks. The role
Our Structures team have a requirement for a Civil Engineer (Bridges) to work on a variety of Local Authority, Highways England and Network Rail schemes.
- Develop, check, and assist in developing, designs from concept to detailed design using local and national guidance and best practice to achieve cost-effective solutions in accordance with the Client's requirements.
- Produce, check, and assist in producing, feasibility studies, engineering solutions, design concepts, design details, calculations, drawings, specifications, reports and other technical documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures
- Provide support to the Structures Design Manager, supervise design teams to fulfil project requirements, ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards and ensure delivery on time, within budget and to the quality required.
Skills & experience
- Provide technical support to a structural design team
- Develop designs in accordance with the client's specification and in accordance with relevant standards to achieve cost-effective solutions
- Prepare and check feasibility studies, inspection, assessment and technical reports and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures
- Supervise, prepare and check design concepts, design details, drawings, specifications and other documents in relation to design work undertaken by self or others
- Supervise, prepare and check assessment calculations, design calculations and structural analysis methods
- Monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
- Represent the business stream in multi-disciplinary project teams
- Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment;
- Take responsibility for the direction and supervision of team members
We want to hear from you if:
- Experience in structural inspection, assessment and design of highways structures (bridges, retaining walls, culverts etc.) and building structures
- Knowledge in working to current structural design codes including Highways England DMRB, Eurocodes and British Standards is essential.
- Previous experience in working for Highway England, Network Rail and Local Authorities is essential.
- Experience in bridge inspections (Principal/ Special) & modelling and structural analysis of complex structures such as long-span Post Tensioned Concrete Bridges
- Computer literate and conversant with the MS Office suite. Experience with appropriate engineering software packages (AutoCAD, structural analysis packages such as LUSAS, SuperSTRESS, Tedds, Structural Bridge Design) is essential.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, the ability to work within a team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines. Experience in dealing with clients, developers, other consultants and the public.
- The demonstrable ability for technical leadership, supervision and management of members of staff (engineers, technicians, students).
- Client-focused approach to service delivery.
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental, and childcare vouchers
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have an impact, making a genuine difference in people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.
Euro Codes (Building Code)