About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Resident Engineer (IMPROVEMENT) to join us to work in the South East (South Mimms / Dartford / Leatherhead)
What you'll be doing
- The Resident Engineer delivers CPS objectives with respect to Project Delivery and focuses on the six key areas of performance: Health & Safety, Quality, Cost, Environment, Delivery and People.
- The Resident Engineer epitomises our core values: One Team, Trust, Customer Focus, Respect, and Excellence and the behaviours that support them, which underpin everything we do.
- Each Resident Engineer is responsible for an area of delivery either created geographically, by client interface or by asset type. Portfolio Managers work as a team to ensure the whole is effectively and efficiently delivered and hold each other accountable to maintain a high level of performance.
You will have the following qualities and experience:
Who we're looking for
- To ensure responsibilities and objectives set in each years Zero Harm Plan are met during delivery on each project in their portfolio and demonstrate leadership in continuous improvement of the culture of their team.
- To ensure responsibilities and objectives with respect to CDM regulations are met during the complete delivery on each of project in their portfolio.
- To develop a high quality relationship with all other Portfolio Managers to embrace the requirements of the one team approach.
- To develop good relationships with all other teams and clients to ensure that all parties project requirements are understood and accounted for.
- To support the Asset Team in the production of the Asset Management Forward Plan (AMFP) or input into Highways Englands Regional Investment Strategy through advice, influence and leadership. The final product should have an achievable programme, budget and scope for each of the projects for the Resident Engineers teams to deliver.
- To review on a monthly basis all costs with their appointed Senior QS and reach agreement on the final report. Advise senior managers through Change Control any changes to scope or budget, continuously reflecting back to the aims or constraints set for the project or financial year.
- To review on a monthly basis all programmes and budget forecasts with their Project Managers, analyse performance trends, identify issues and agree reporting level and quality.
- Work with the Asset Team and M25 supply chain community to improve and reduce our use of environmental resources through application of best practice, innovation and technological advancement. Ensuring a Whole Life Cost approach is applied to all schemes.
- To define and control the boundaries of their works, responsibilities and objectives. This is to be achieved by liaising with the other Portfolio Managers, Planner(s) and Construction Manager by agreeing the planning and delivery of their proposed schemes. These activities should include the following:
- Develop achievable timescales for delivery
- Agree clear lines of communication and responsibility
- Coordinate Project Manager, Designer and Framework Contractors resources
- Define and agree measure of quality to evaluate performance
- Agree priorities, identify risks in delivery and their ownership, and when necessary present to senior managers to arbitrate priorities.
- To share knowledge and resources when required across the Project Delivery Team, to maximise efficiencies and to limit risk exposure to the business.
- To coordinate supply chain/framework resources across the M25 supply chain community. This is to minimise delivery risk to the DBFO and maximise the continuity of works where possible to the benefit of the supply chain and Framework Contractors, creating a sustainable business culture, delivering value to our clients.
- To support develop all members of their portfolio team by setting challenging tasks in line with their Personal Development and Performance Development Plans.
- To support other Resident Engineer in the development their staff, where identified as adding value to the business.
- Drive and Live the Connect Plus Services Values Safe & Well, Excellence, Reliable and Sustainable
You will have the following qualities and experience:
Why work for us
- A Good working knowledge of NEC Contract Management
- A Good working knowledge of Design and Construction works programmes, buildability, and cost value management.
- Drive and a desire to deliver excellence.
- The appropriate skills to advise others when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships
- A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on engineering excellence, the customer and the business
- Civil Engineering / Construction qualification
- Relevant knowledge of engineering and knowledge of what good looks like
- A working understanding of other engineering and construction disciplines, along with a willingness to challenge the norm
- IT literate skills
- A valid CSCS card
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
We operate according to our Build to Last Values of Lean, Expert, Trusted, Safe and Sustainable.
We support each other to deliver and succeed, placing equal value on all perspectives by embracing diversity and inclusion. Together we deliver powerful new solutions, collaborating with governments, our customers and partners to shape thinking, create skylines and inspire a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
click here to continue.-->