We have designed our two-year Technical Graduate Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience.
Your time on the programme will see you gaining all kinds of specialist technical skills and eye-catching achievements. You will be joining a leading international infrastructure group shaping innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business including design, operations, safety and commercial; you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation.
We will develop your technical and leadership skills to help you reach your full potential and as your programme progresses you will have increased responsibility; working with experts who will share their knowledge, provide support and give invaluable feedback so you never stop learning. You will be part of a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
Balfour Beatty Living Places provides highways maintenance, street lighting and public realm services to local authorities, helping to create places where people want to live, work and play.
We have an opportunity for a Design Engineer to join our Living Places business unit to work in Southampton. You will be working within a dedicated team delivering multiple projects in and around Southampton.
You will be able to work independently and possess good technical skills, applying best solutions based on previous experience or knowledge of standard solutions.
Successful projects start with good designs, and our Balfour Beatty Living Places Design team comes up with some of the best in our industry. Every day, they draw up the specs, reports and construction methods we need to deliver projects. Your day to day responsibilities may include:
- Develop project plans and schedules that meet specifications and requirements defined by the client.
- Lead the development and delivery of projects made up of a number of work packages, coordinate the activities of a number of engineers and other staff of projects.
- Ensure that all designs and engineering work is carried out in compliance with industry, customer and business standards, conventions and quality/safety requirements and legislation
- Develop new solutions, and build/extend a catalogue of standard solutions to design and construction problems and challenges.
- Ensure that all contributions are fully carried out compliant with company health, safety and environmental requirements and policy
- Manage cost associated with projects and works such that budgets and budgeted cost for work are fully met.
What we’re looking for:
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you will be required to travel across Southampton)
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels - this will be a client facing role
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence decision making
What you’ll need:
- A minimum of a 2:2 BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in Civil or Structural Engineering, coupled with an interest in Highways and Design
- Ideally have previous experience or placement working on highways projects
- Flexible to travel throughout Southampton
- Eligibility to work and live permanently in the UK
- A full, clean UK driving licence
Salary and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will also be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website [ Link removed ] to learn more.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact [ Link removed ]
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Closing Date – applications are open until 19th March 2021 however, Balfour Beatty reserves the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.