About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Maintenance and Installation Operative to join our Living Places business unit to work in Cambridge.
To support the growth of our Street Lighting Business within on our PFI contract until 2036. Carrying out various tasks within the titled role ensuring that all H&S objectives and responsibilities are adhered to.What you'll be doing
As a Maintenance and Installation Operative, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- The installation, repair and maintenance of Lighting Columns, lighting brackets, Lanterns;
- Underground SWA cables, bollards and signs;
- Excavations for installations of Feeder Pillars, Lamp Column, Signposts, Bollards and speed cameras;
- The changing of lamps, lamp holders, covers, electric cells, fuses, capacitors, switches;
- Management of basic on-site risk assessments;
- Responsible for site traffic management / Pedestrian Management;
- Responsible for company Property, Equipment and Vehicles;
- Emergency call outs make safes.
The following Qualities and experience are required:
- You should be technically competent with experience working within street lighting;
- Must be comfortable working within a team as well as working alone and to tight deadlines;
- You will have the ability to read maps and must have a good level of written and numerical skills;
- A demonstrable ability to learn new processes quickly;
- Excellent attention to detail & self-motivated;
- Able to demonstrate technical knowledge and analytical skills;
- Strong knowledge of fault repair;
Full training to be provided to allow the successful candidate to develop into the role
The following Qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- Full clean UK Driving Licence;
- HEA Portfolio;
- CSCS/NPORS Red card;
- NRSWA operative qualification;
- IPAF 1b + Harness and Fall Arrest training;
- G39 + 214 Safe Isolation;
- 302.1 (12D) Traffic Management;
- Manual Handling training:
- Emergency First Aid qualification (1 Day);
- 204.1 Abrasive Wheels training;
- Good communication skills;
- Electrical knowledge;
- An understanding of Sign Lighting and Guarding;
- IT skills Excel, Word ability to use a Tablet / Apps.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.