Canada - VancouverProject Location(s):
Vancouver, BC V5K 0A1 CANMinimum Years Experience:
None/Not SpecifiedJob Type:
Foreign LocalJob Classification:
Bachelors DegreeJob Family:
Position Description: Coordinates and participates in the preparation of all estimates that are provided by the Estimating Department. Manages and is responsible for all estimating functions that may be required during preconstruction including value engineering, alternative and comparative studies. Takes the lead from an Estimating/Preconstruction basis on projects assigned.
Reports To: Preconstruction Manager, Estimating Manager, Chief Estimator
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
- Review quantity take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for all items incorporated in the assigned scope.
- Take lead role in Lump Sum (LS) bids.
- Review drawings, specifications and all other construction documents. Make senior management aware of design-related problems, completeness of documents and other potential risks.
- Work in conjunction with Operations to ensure that detailed General Conditions/Requirement (GC/GRs) estimates are prepared, and review with others as needed.
- Responsible for the value engineering process during preconstruction for the assigned projects.
- Manage the Estimating Engineers and Assistant Estimating Engineers, including completing performance evaluations.
- Ensure strict adherence to safety, Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC), ethics and compliance requirements at all times.
- Manage the allocation of work hours for staff assigned to projects to ensure it is within budgetary guidelines.
- Communicate and collaborate with Operations and Purchasing during preconstruction efforts.
- Develop and enhance owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
- Analyze cost data, unit prices, back-page costs, and information that can be developed and used as a “rule of thumb” for all building systems estimated costs.
- Responsible for the preparation of preliminary estimates and studies during preconstruction to monitor design development cost trends in order to detect over-runs and potential problem areas.
- Ensure assigned tasks are completed and delivered within timeframes allotted.
- Assist Purchasing in evaluating and analyzing subcontractor proposals.
- Derive systems quantities for Building Information Models (BIM) and other estimating software in order to provide complete estimate.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Building Construction or similar, plus two or more years as an Estimating Engineer following experience in project engineering, field supervision or purchasing. Knowledge of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions, trade practices. Must have conceptual ability to work with minimum information and quickly develop an understanding of the owner/architect requirements. Should demonstrate imaginative, innovative and succinct approach to a project. Should have familiarity with the operating procedures and methods of other departments – Purchasing, Cost, Accounting, etc. Good leadership, verbal and written skills. Strong computer skills and a familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite of programs and Turner's estimating software. Complete knowledge of the estimating documents and the ability to provide accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis of the documents. Must be able to multitask and meet established deadlines.
Physical Demands: Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
*May perform other duties as assigned.
Turner welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Product Quality Assurance