About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Roaming Shift Manager to join us to work in Leatherhead & Swanley.
What you'll be doing
- Management of a large team of Maintenance, Incident Support and Emergency Response Operatives on the M25 DBFO Network;
- Ensuring that all Operatives are thoroughly briefed on the works they are to undertake, conduct site visits to ensure staff are working safely, efficiently and effectively;
- Responsible for all aspects of people management of the directly employed workforce.
As a Roaming Shift Manager you will:
Who we're looking for
- Responsible for the delivery of Zero Harm objectives by increasing our awareness of risks, driving risk mitigation, and leading by example to embed a proactive safety culture across Service Delivery and our supply chain;
- Prepare and deliver suitable works briefings, which adequately identify the work methodology, highlight the onsite hazards & risks along with control measures to be implemented;
- Ensure that all work activities (both highways & structures) are adequately managed ensuring that the identified works methodology is adhered to and control measures are implemented in accordance with the briefing;
- Positively engage with directly employed and subcontract workforce to highlight issues with the methodology and / or identified control measures and together develop a solution which enables works to be completed in a safe and efficient manner;
- Ensure that a detailed debrief is completed for all works activities (both highways & structures) at the end of each shift so that any identified issues can be resolved and lessons learnt are fed into the delivery of future work activities;
- Take an active role in the compliance of Contractual requirements including Primary Response, Secondary Response, reactive & planned preventative maintenance, Environmental Protection Act 1990 and Severe Weather;
- Review dashboard reports and identify priorities, issues and opportunities. Carry out pre-site inspections of all defect sites and planned preventative maintenance (highways & structures) locations to identify work methodology and all resource requirements to ensure efficient delivery of works and co-ordination opportunities;
- First line management of all operatives working within there dedicated teams for day to day activities, succession, training, performance, conduct, annual leave requests, timekeeping, absence management, ensuring that all issues are dealt with promptly and that accurate records are maintained and issues escalated as required;
- Maintain sufficient levels of resource are in place to ensure the safe delivery of all works activities (highways & structures) and highlight at an early stage any areas of risk to the programme and identify potential solutions;
- Ensure that accurate records are maintained for all activities (highways & structures); these records need to record the works completed, the resources used and the associated costs allocated correctly. Ensure that information is collected to demonstrate 3rd party accountability and proof of works completed in order to provide assurance to our client;
- Participate in the production of risk assessments and method statements. Involve the workforce to identify gaps and areas for improvement within our current risk assessments and method statements and feed this information into future revisions;
- Delivery of toolbox talks, engaging the workforce to ensure good understanding of the subject matter and provide feedback for continual improvement;
- Management of fleet including compliance with Drivers Hours recording and Vehicle Defect reporting.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Knowledge and experience of Health, Safety, Environment and Quality standards within a highways context;
- Competent user of all IT Applications;
- Current UK driving license;
- Proven experience of managing & leading multidisciplinary teams;
- The ability to communicate verbally with clarity and authority to engage operatives, colleagues and management;
- The ability to write clear and understandable briefings and handover notes, and keep full and accurate records.
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Current UK driving license LGV Class 2;
- Knowledge and experience of traffic management on high speed roads ;
- CSCS card holder - Supervisor;
- NVQ Level 3 in Highways Maintenance;
- Previous experience in highway maintenance on a live motorway or All Purpose Trunk Road (APTR) network;
- Knowledge and experience of Severe Weather and Incident Management;
- Experience of vehicle restraint systems.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
click here to continue.-->