About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a QUANTITY SURVEYOR to join our Living Places business unit to work in Telford.
What you'll be doing
- A Quantity Surveyor has a number of years experience in managing all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects. They will be supporting other more senior members of the commercial team in delivering the varied commercial duties as well as being responsible for procuring and managing our supply chain. They actively seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality for our Customers. Typically a QS will be chartered or in the final stages of achieving professional membership of the RICS, ICES or CIOB and will be a peer role model for those less experienced members of the commercial team.
As a QUANTITY SURVEYOR, you will have the following accountabilities:
Who we're looking for
- Knowledge of and adheres to the Companys GMCEs, BMS and other governance
- Orders information and systematically checks data
- Measure, record & value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures
- Measure & interpret specifications & drawings
- Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates
- Translate measurement from drawings and Specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities and Acc Review weekly, monthly, section programmes of works
- Plan commercial activities to meet requirements of section programmes
- An understanding of delay and disruption programmes
- Collation of Cost and Value Information
- Preparation of Cost reconciliation statements
- Collect information required to specify procurement requirements
- Record and document information including registration of interest
You will have the following:
Why work for us
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results)
- Previous Commercial Work experience
- Industry knowledge
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.