About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Manager to join our Regional team to work in Slough.
A Commercial Managers is responsible for the financial management of standard projects from inception, from tendering to, negotiating and agreeing contracts, and then commercial delivering Projects often worth many millions of pounds. They are an integral part of the project delivery team where they hold key responsibilities associated with the commercial and financial success of each project.
Commercial managers are experienced individuals who have risen through the ranks of the industry and their role is broad and includes anything from risk management to procurement, financial reporting and managing the supply chain. They will have proven skills in commercial awareness, client liaison, project management and team leadership.
They will also have an extensive understanding of the construction industry, flexibility and a talent for negotiation. Typically they will have a track record of managing andWhat you'll be doing
developing a commercial team and be themselves a Chartered Member of the RICS, ICES or CIOB, and a mentor/role model to other commercial staff on their journey to becoming professionally qualified.
As a Commercial Manager, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Has a good knowledge of and adheres to the Companys GMCEs, BMS and other governance
- An ability to see bigger picture.
- Willing to take initiative to respond to customer requirements
- Understands how economic factors that affects the construction industry.
- Provides commercial input to Value Engineering reviews for different forms of construction
- Manages the feedback of commercial data to Planning and Estimating
- Maximises digital opportunities
- To support the review tenders & cost data.
- To manage the preparation of Target Cost for a Project
- To co-ordinate the commercial team to ensure programme issues are identified and actioned
- To manage the preparation and review of Earned Value Management
- Manage the preparation of the monthly CVR and associated commercial reports.
- To be able to report and explain the commercial progress to senior divisional staff
- To manage the feedback of commercial data to Planning, Estimating, Marketing and Sales
- Manages commercial aspects with Customer and stakeholders
- Establish client supply chain requirements & advise on alternative forms of contract & procurement arrangements.
- Formulation of management plans for resource procurement.
- Awareness of disputes resolution including options, structure as well as knowledge of the SCL Protocol
- Application of legislation and ability to liaise with legal experts
- Preparation of Estimates & Tender submissions including the interpretation of specifications & preambles
- Representation of the financial and contractual interests to your employer and/or client in progress meetings or the like.
- Co-ordination of buying, accounts, production control/planning, supply chain management & procurement techniques, estimating & surveying functions
- Management and reporting of Commercial Risk and Opportunity
- Management of disallowed cost
- Experience in the recruitment and retention of staff
- Identifies & targets the needs of individuals & self
- Manages teams PDRs, training & development including professional
- Gives feedback on strengths and weaknesses connecting plans for development of individuals.
- Determine project commercial staff requirement & liaison with HR for recruitment including temporary staff
- Interviewing staff for lesser grades
- Involvement with Schools & Universities to promote BB as a potential employer and to support sponsored students.
- Liaises with all parties to ensure task/project remains on plan
The following qualifications are essential:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Strategic change Management
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results)
- Business and Customer Awareness
- Promotes organisational aims & objectives
- Manages customer needs
- Manages opportunities & threats
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Earned Value Management