Head of Pre-Construction
Environment - ESD
Galliford Try are hiring a Head of Pre-Construction to drive the programme of works forward for the business. You will be an active member of the ESD SR21 Senior Leadership Team, embracing innovation and alternate ways of working. We are looking for a confident indiivudual with a positive, open, collaborative and friendly attitude that can support the development of an exciting and challenging programme of work in Scotland.
Galliford Try is one of the UK’s most formidable construction businesses with an enviable track record of delivering schemes that strive to provide positive, lasting change for the communities we work in. With an impressive order book of over £3.2 billion we are one of the industries leading principal contractors, affording you the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s most exciting projects offering you stability as well as the chance to stretch your capabilities and realise long held career goals. You will be joining diverse teams working at a high professional level with exceptional levels of commitment.
As a major UK contractor Galliford Try has a diversified workload in the public, regulated and private sectors. Boasting a strong reputation for providing whole-life solutions, high standards of project delivery, and an ability to innovate. We predominately operate under either the Galliford Try or the Morrison Construction brands, and organised into five key segments: Building, Infrastructure, Facilities Management, Investments and Integrated Solutions.
Operating under Galliford Try in England and Wales and Morrison Construction in Scotland, we are a leading contractor on infrastructure projects in the public and regulated sectors. From highways and rail to renewable energy and water, delivering a specialist capability from concept and design through to project implementation and maintenance.
Galliford Try’s Infrastructure Security business works predominantly within the UK’s Critical National Infrastructure market, focussing on Defence, Water, Energy, Transport and Telecommunications sectors. We deliver multi-site security programs, and our expertise in the planning, design and delivery processes, together with our CNI Security knowledge and experience, enables us to efficiently deliver fully integrated physical and electronic security programmes and portfolios of work on critical operational assets.
ESD is a Joint Venture involving Galliford Try, MWH Treatment and Black & Veatch formed in order to manage, design and deliver Scottish Water’s Q&SIV Non Infrastructure Programme. We have won a 6 year framework to deliver SW non infrastructure water framework. The estimated turnover of this framework is £700m covering all areas of Scotland.
ESD will be unincorporated but fully integrated and will be staffed by secondees from all partner companies on a ‘best person for the job’ basis.
ESD was formed early in 2015 from three partners who are heavily committed to the water sector, working in Scotland and for Scottish Water. Equally important, the three partners have long standing relationships that have successfully delivered over £2Bn of programmes and projects together under various joint venture and alliancing arrangements.
As Head of Pre-Construction you will be accountable for taking projects and clusters of projects through Scottish Water’s governance gate ways. This role seeks to deliver Best Value Lowest Carbon and Cost outcomes, for Scottish Water’s SR21 Non-Infrastructure Capital Delivery programme; ensuring new and existing assets meet regulatory compliance with respect to water and wastewater quality and growth drivers. The successful candidate will manage the optioneering, plan and prepare phase of the project delivery life-cycle, determining preferred project scopes through the development of alternative costed options. As Head Of Pre-Construction, you will manage an integrated team of Development Managers, Project Managers, Design and Constructability Engineers, and Estimators ensuring that a fully formulated delivery strategy and plan is in place for all projects emerging from the optioneering phase. You will lead multi-disciplinary teams in delivering projects ranging from small and simple complexity to large and technically challenging engineering projects. The programme will comprise both new-build and capital maintenance works for water and wastewater non-infrastructure assets (i.e. Treatment Plants); with individual project values ranging from £1m>£100m.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, working closely with Scottish Water and the Supply Chain
- Lead the team through the options development process ensuring timely completion of required outputs
- Work with the design team to generate ‘signature—style’ and DFMA-focussed solutions
- Work with the estimating function to refine the commercial model for pricing of projects and ensure consistency with the delivery strategy.
- Co-ordination of constructability input during solutions identification, design development stage and buildability phases.
- Manage the various SW departmental stakeholders to ensure buy-in of preferred solutions
- Establish rigorous and cost-effective option analysis processes to maintain momentum resulting in positive outcomes
- Ensure accurate development and management of scope including contractual change.
- Advise on complex option assessments of possible solutions for Non-Infrastructure projects.
- Overview and sign-off of integrated governance and gate completion documentation.
- Co-ordinating, managing and over-seeing the generation and acceptance of innovative solutions from the pre-construction team as projects pass through Scottish Water’s governance gateways Working closely with the Head of Delivery, you will ensure that projects are handed over effectively to the delivery teams. This would include development of the delivery strategy and plan, budget controls and agreed programme and execution methodology.
- Be the key contact within the ESD Senior team who liaises with Scottish Water Cost Intelligence to build an effective relationship that compliments the ESD way of working.
- Ensure alignment with Scottish Water’s ambitions of service excellence, beyond Net Zero and financial sustainability
- Ensure sustainable opportunity in delivery plan to bring the required efficiencies across our operations
- Demonstrable leadership experience essential
- Experience in a similar role within the water or wider infrastructure industry is essential.
- The successful candidate will manage a large team which will include between 5 and 8 direct reports and will need to have a proven track record of effective people development and employee relations experience.
- Can manage performance of varying disciplines in the project management, engineering, planning and estimating functions
- Experience of Project Delivery on projects through the construction life cycle, specifically experience associated with the option development stage of projects
- Programme Management experience essential.
- Capable of strategic planning and managing change.
- An established track record of successful stakeholder management
- Experience of the complexities associated with Process and MEICA equipment operation.
- Can manage and facilitate team and client meetings effectively.
- Will hold regular status meetings with the ESD Board.
- Can resolve and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Has the ability to make autonomous decisions and be able to support these outcomes
Experience and Qualifications:
- The successful candidate will be educated to degree level and have extensive knowledge of the water and Infrastructure construction sectors and project management.
- Preferably possess CEng
- Excellent oral and written and communication skills
- IT literate in Microsoft Office applications
We offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges. We also offer a competitive salary and benefits package and we will always consider flexible working hours and arrangements.
With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
Galliford Try is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community