About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor to join our Regional team to work in Reading.
What you'll be doing
- To ensure commercial & contractual control and co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of a specified project or range of projects.
As a Quantity Surveyor you will:
Who we're looking for
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company HSE procedures and work instructions;
- In conjunction with the relevant Project Management team member(s), be accountable for the profitability of the project(s), and develop an appropriate commercial strategy for the project(s) to ensure delivery of required margins;
- Contribute to the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system ensuring all financial information is managed and up-to-date and tracked with budget/tender allowances, commitments and deviations highlighted and managed;
- With other members of the team, produce and provide accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value;
- Continually monitor projected costs to completion in line with budget;
- Ensure that necessary interface information between customers, sub-contractors and other departments is provided in a timely manner;
- Monitor cash flow and valuation plan, ensuring applications are made correctly and in a timely manner;
- Ensure contract variations are identified, valued and turned into agreed variation orders with the customer in a timely manner;
- Assist in ensuring effective records are maintained to support claims and that applications for payment for variations are issued in a timely manner;
- Manage the subcontract tender process, including the selection of sub-contractors and provision of all relevant contract and schedule documentation;
- Ensure that subcontracts are placed in an appropriate manner to step down appropriate responsibilities from the Main Contract;
- Ensure that each sub-contractors account is managed strictly in accordance with their terms and conditions;
- Ensure that any insurance claims are notified in accordance with CSUK requirements and that appropriate data is compiled for insurance claims;
- Assist the Project Management team member(s) in arranging and undertaking project reviews and issue of associated reports;
- Provide accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on the project(s) in line with the Companys reporting process;
- Ensure compliance with BMS and Group Minimum Commercial Expectations;
- Where appropriate and where used on the specified project, utilise BIM to support progress monitoring, provide commercial reporting and incorporate information to support change management, variations orders and encourage all sub-contractors/ supply chain members to integrate their work into BIM;
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
The following experience/qualifications are essential:-
- Previous experience in Quantity Surveying, some of which should have been obtained within a relevant business environment;
- A valid CSCS card;
- Sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of Conditions of Contract;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes;
- Knowledge of construction techniques on particular projects;
- Ability to apply the knowledge and principles of commercial management to construction projects;
- Working knowledge of basic plant, equipment and materials;
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer sub contracts;
- Ability to implement procedures to quantify and cost construction works, including the use of appropriate standard methods of measurement;
- Understanding of the requirements to provide and obtain Insurance, Bonds and Warranties;
- Proficiency in administration, writing, numeracy, IT and MS Office;
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative;
- Enthusiasm and results focus, together with an ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Effective negotiation skills - both with internal and external customers.
The following experience/qualifications are desirable:-
Why work for us
- Membership of a relevant professional body and/or relevant professional qualification, such as RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/CIBSE
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Health Safety And Environment