Think big, create better
Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Local Authorities, Highways England, the Midlands Highways Alliance and Wales and Borders.
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life. The Role
Due to increased workload, recruiting a Street Lighting Engineer, to provide technically sound lighting designs as part of a dedicated design engineering team.
We have several large upgrade projects across the UK which involve the design of 57,000 streetlights and moving from filament to LED technology in order to reduce carbon factors and ensure uniformity for each street. In this role, you will use your experience in Lighting and Electrical Design to carry out design for highways upgrade, local authority highways and Amey Defence schemes. You may have worked in a similar role within a different industry but will be familiar with electrical regulations.
Please note that this role can we based in Wakefield, Bradford or Birmingham and we support flexible working.
We strongly encourage the development towards a professional qualification with full membership of ILP and registration and pride ourselves on mentoring technicians and engineers. We can offer significant support towards Incorporated and Chartership Engineer status, and you will be rewarded with a bonus of up to £5k on completion. In a typical week you will:
We want to hear from you if:
- Support the Design Manager and other team members in undertaking a wide range of project delivery tasks including: Survey, inspection, investigation, feasibility, detailed design, report preparation and project implementation
- Support and mentor junior members of the team in the undertaking of their duties
- Outline cost estimating and management and monitoring of project budgets
- Help with project planning, programming, cost control and administration
- Prepare and/or checking design calculations, contract documentation, drawing production, technical documents and project reports in accordance with the project brief and in compliance with current standards
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in engineering or a related subject
- You have an acceptable level of progress towards completion of a formal or informal professional training programme with an appropriate professional body e.g. full membership of ILP and registration as an Incorporated Engineer
- You are fully conversant with AutoCAD applications and ability to provide quality AutoCAD drawings
- You are conversant with lighting design software e.g. Lighting Reality and KeyLIGHTS
- You have experience in the production of cable network designs in accordance with BS7671
- You have comprehensive knowledge of British and European electrical and lighting Standards
- You are conversant with the requirements of Highway Electrical Registration scheme (HERs)
- You have had experience carrying out site surveys
- You are able to produce technically sound street lighting engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in following procedures associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are able to comply with technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
What else is better about working for Amey?
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.
Coaching And Mentoring