About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Highways Design Manager to join our Living Places business unit to work in Southampton.
The Southampton Highways Service Partnership has opened opportunity for Scape Procure as a delivery mechanism for its Transforming Cities fund award. We are looking to build a team that will deliver design and construction works for various City Centre located projects. A design Manager will be required to successfully oversee Balfour Beattys external design framework delivery ensuring that works are delivered on budget and to programme adopting technology and innovative techniques. Sound commercial and project management capabilities are a must have attribute.
It is expected that the design manager will support the project teams in the achievement in BIM Level 2.What you'll be doing
As a Highways Design Manager, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Manage the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer
- Safety in construction and use
- Quality within affordable parameters
- Ease of maintenance, energy efficiency with minimum environmental impact
- Innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community
- Provide advice and guidance on the buildability of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages
- Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities as required such as planning, building control and services e.g. gas and water
- Support the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream
- Lead the development and management of the design deliverables programme
- Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables
- Lead the co-ordination and production of design data, bid deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the project and contractual requirements and report progress against the design deliverables programme
- Lead the implementation of the BIM CSUK protocols, including teamwork and collaboration and the management and sharing of data relating to BIM models
- Support the contract team in the delivery of BIM Level 2 standards and the development of
- Employers Information Requirements
- BIM Execution Plans
- Information Management Plans
- Consider the application of Lean construction techniques in order to save money, reduce waste and optimise construction
- Ensure that learning and best practice is captured from the bid/project with the aim of sharing it across the business stream and the UKCS business
- Proactively manage risk across a wide range of projects using company standard risk management systems. Develop a culture of ongoing risk management from end to end of each project
- Develop and manage relationships with customer, client and other key stakeholders. Ensure customer issues are fully understood, undertake negotiations and resolution of issues related to project design in a timely manner
- Build excellent relationships internally and externally and develop a reputation for always delivering upon your commitments and objectives
The following qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- Qualifications and skills expected
- This role requires an individual with proven experience in delivering design services within a Work Winning environment and successfully implementing design strategies as well as relevant project experience
- Much of the works will be Civil biased (highways, bridges etc) and a proven record in successfull delivery of similar works would be required
- Leadership skills in a matrix organisation are required to deliver design services in a timely manner with a customer and business sector specific focus. Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure
- The individual will know what good looks like in tender submissions and would have hands on experience of delivering work-winning bids in a timely manner and also experience of delivering design in production
- Good working knowledge of BIM is required
- Will have experience within the most current forms of procurement. Working knowledge of NEC contract is required
- Relevant experience dealing with Network Rail and Highway England approval process
- Relevant experience in managing common data environment
- Relevant experience in Design and Construct contracts
- Relevant Professional membership with an appropriate institute, e.g. ICE, Istructe, Ciob aligned to the work stream is recommended
- A valid CSCS card is a requirement
- Excellent IT Skills relevant to the Business Stream are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential
- Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material, applicable to the Business Stream
- Should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the relevant Business Stream
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.