About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Designer - Substations (Electrical Interface) to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Scotland.
What you'll be doing
- The main function of the role is to engineer the control and protection designs for electrical substation projects. In depth knowledge of creating and preparing control & protection drawings: general arrangements, schematics, wiring diagrams, cable schedules, related drawings documentation and other outputs.
Knowledgeable in electrical protection systems, system components, engineering requirements and standards.
- Familiar with quality assurance, business processes and applications.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
Who we're looking for
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard Company Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental Procedures and Business Process Manual
- Contribute to the development and training needs of the Design Team as appropriate to skills level / experience
- Upon contract award, liaise and co-ordinate contract requirements with Project Manager, customer, external suppliers and other Balfour Beatty Departments at earliest opportunity
- Establish design content of work package and the design resource to achieve the required time scales, in line with project programme, via development of detail engineering design plans
- Effectively control, update and report on progress throughout contract life, giving estimates to complete and highlight potential resource problems to Engineer and Design Manager
- Report variations in the Contract Scope of Work to the Design Manager / Project Manager indicate implications and only proceed with these variations following verbal / written approval from
- Identify all relevant standards and customer requirements, ensuring compliance with relevant National / International Standards and legislation, and contract specification
- Attend and contribute to Design Review / Contract Close-out Meetings, ensuring that appropriate items are actioned in a timely manner
- Liaise with Engineer on drawings requirements
- Initiate the preparation of all required drawings
- In conjunction with other Balfour Beatty Departments, prepare Installation and Commissioning packages, in a timely manner as dictated by Project Programmes
- Receive As Installed site drawings and documentation and liaise with other Balfour Beatty Departments, subcontractors and suppliers, to ensure accurate final records are prepared and submitted to client in line with the requirements of the contract specification.
- Acc Highlight any design issues to the Engineer/Project Manager proposing any possible solution for review
Acc Carry out draughting checks as deemed necessary and in line with the requirements of the Business Process Manual the Project Manager
You will have the following qualities and experience:
Why work for us
- HNC in Electrical Engineering or higher
- CAD experience
- Liaising with customers and suppliers
- Design of electrical power systems and associated power system components
- Autodesk, Elecdes
- Microsoft Office Packages
- Encourages an environment for developing ideas
- Provides constructive feedback on how ideas are being progressed
- Provides support for all individuals to offer constructive criticism of new and established idea
- Uses past experience to solve high level or complex job specific problems
- Combines past experience with new developments / methods/ techniques to solve complex job specific problems
- Assesses the risks associated with different solutions, makes decisions on risks which could have a serious impact on business performance
- Uses knowledge and experience to refer issues to engineer when risk is assessed as being too high
- Uses a range of information to analyse project performance
- Makes predictions for project performance from appropriate information
Acc Establishes systems and procedures to gather project level information which can be used to make decisions about the business
- Assesses this information and translates it into a meaningful format for decision making purposes about business performance and the direction the business needs to move in
- Provides job specific advice relating to issues which have a high element of technical, specialist or commercial risk
- Gives advice with regard to the planning, co-ordinating and monitoring of complex job specific tasks.Uses past experience and knowledge to identify when issues are to be referred to engineer
- Agrees and implements realistic and targeted development action plans
- Develops design plans
- Identifies activities and resources required to meet objectives
- Plans the procurement of contract resources (people, materials, plant, information) to meet project goals
- Monitors progress and evaluates use of resources, taking remedial action as necessary
- Innovatively utilises resources to achieve project goals. Monitors and evaluates project use of resources
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.