About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a TECHNICAL LEAD to join our Balvac team to work from either of these locations depending on your own location Liverpool or Derby or Leeds.
What you'll be doing
- To provide focus and leadership on Technical Proposals, leading and supporting on winning new business through proactive and reactive work opportunities.
- Also to support the operational teams in delivery on technical matters, including material, equipment or technique selection.
- Subject to candidate experience, this role could extend to the management and delivery of Specialist Services Work.
- To ensure the technical proposal is robust and appropriate, to enable compliant defect free delivery and handover for operational service, and delivered to programme and budget, ensuring technical assurance, compliance, health, safety and sustainability standards are met.
As a TECHNICAL LEAD, you will have the following accountabilities:
Who we're looking for
- Report to the Pre Construction Manager, but have close interaction with the Business Director, Commercial Director, Operations Manager and Engineering Lead;
- Support appointed Work Winning & Project Engineering and Design Leads;A
- Be the focal point for receipt and evaluation of technical enquiries into the business, and the production of resulting technical proposals;
- Lead and support on introducing new technology, techniques, materials and innovation into the Balvac business;
- Undertake research and develop business cases as agreed, to strengthen our position in existing disciplines (markets) and to develop new disciplines (markets);
- Represent Balvac at technical forums and with external industry bodies and events;
- Be customer facing, with regular contact with existing and new customers to develop new work opportunities;
- Support the Tender or attend the Tender handover;
- Technically appraise the Contract documentation in comparison to the Tender;
- Manage & implement technical change as required;
- Produce Design Briefs to meet design requirements in support of Designer Services procurement;
- Maintain a robust document control of all technical documentation and information;
- Ensure the designs have been subject to Independent Design Review;
- Ensure that designs have been subject to Inter-Disciplinary Checking;
- Ensure that the design created suits the methodology adopted for construction;
- Ensure involvement of stakeholders and operational input during development of technical proposals;
- Manage the appropriate action and response to any reviewer comments.
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Proven experience at a senior level in delivering technical proposals and services within a Work Winning environment;
- An engineering degree (or equivalent) and Chartered Membership of a relevant Engineering Institution is preferred (CEng MICE)
Significant industry experience and contacts, with specific knowledge of specialisms such as:
Why work for us
- structural concrete repair;
- strengthening and protection;
- cathodic protection;
- sprayed concrete;
- CFRP Strengthening;
- post tensioning;
- vacuum assisted resin injection;
- leak sealing & water management
- A strong understanding of technical issues, standards, specifications, construction techniques and methodologies in the specialist markets.
- CSCS and SMSTS with full working knowledge of CDM.
- For the extended duties of the Specialist Services Manager, significant experience of managing specialist works teams in delivering the works described above, in environments such as highway & rail infrastructure, power, nuclear, water & waste water and commercial buildings.
- Leadership skills in a matrix organisation are required to deliver services in a timely manner with a customer and Sector specific focus;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure;
- Will know what good looks like in bid submissions and work winning and have hands on experience of delivering efficient technical proposals in a timely manner;
- Excellent IT Skills including Autocad (desirable) and Microsoft Office (essential);
- Should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and digital services.
- Proficiency in IT, numeracy and writing is a requirement;
- You should be able to motivate both internal and external teams and nurture / mentor / coach less experienced team members.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
As a trusted expert, Balvac sustainably extends the life of our nations infrastructure. We deliver innovative structural repair, strengthening, protection and maintenance solutions providing our customers with the opportunity to return their assets to full capacity and extend their working life. Specialist capabilities include: Concrete repair, including wet and dry spray concrete, Crack injection, Leak sealing injection, Structural strengthening including the use of FRP composite materials, Corrosion Protection and Cathodic Protection, Post tensioning to bridges, tanks and nuclear reactor vessels, Concrete carriageway rehabilitation using vacuum assisted void grouting and slab realignment techniques.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists