Think big, create better
Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders – Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life. The Role
Amey Consulting are working on various intricate and challenging highway design projects throughout Highways England’s Area 10 Network. The highways sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in designing, building and maintaining the Strategic Road Network, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Highways Design consultancy services.
With a growing team of 45+ staff, working collaboratively with Highways England in a shared office space in Birchwood, we continue to create innovative solutions to complex problems. We also support our people in their need to work flexibly, to fit around their lifestyle needs.
Due to an increased workload, we are looking to recruit an Engineer within our Highways team. The successful candidate(s) will work collaboratively within the highways design team to undertake the design of highways schemes. The current schemes in development include: vehicle restraint system replacements, junction improvements, flooding hotspot schemes along with resurfacing, road marking and signage schemes.
We can offer clear career path to Senior and Principal Engineer level, support and mentorship towards IEng/CEng with up to £5000 bonus on completion and flexible working patterns. In a typical week you will:
We want to hear from you if you have:
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your team
- Liaise with the Client and our Community partners to ensure solutions that are developed are suitable for buildability and maintainability
- Lead on the delivery of scheme design, as well as providing support to Senior Engineer within the design team on various design duties including:
- Feasibility and other technical reports
- Planning, programming and cost estimation
- Design production
- Produce design schedules
- Review and amend design drawings
- Produce Specifications
- Support development of Graduate Engineers and Technicians
- Work to programme to deliver specified designs on time
- Prepare technical reports (eg Feasibility/Options Reports, Assessment Reports and other technical reports)
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Carry out site surveys, inspections and supervision of junior colleagues on site
- Keep up to date with your own personal development to ensure the natural growth of the team
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE) or approaching CEng or IEng status having completed the necessary training requirements
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite and relevant engineering software packages
- Demonstrable experience in Highway Design within the UK
- Good communication skills and the ability to work within a small team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public
- Client focused approach to service delivery IOSH managing safety IOSH working safely
- Environmental awareness
- Tool Box talk
- Environmental awareness for managers
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
What else is better about working for Amey?
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.