About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor to join our Regional Build team to work in Smethwick, Birmingham.
The role will initially be based on a large hospital project in Birmingham followed by projects in the Midlands area which could be across a range of sectors including accommodation, education, commercial and transport.
To form part of the commercial team based on a project the role will vary depending on the project type and complexity. On larger value schemes the QS will report to a Senior or Managing QS and will be assigned packages of work to manage, including procurement, valuation and cost management etc as part of a wider team. On lower value schemes the QS may be the commercial representative based on site responsible for day to day commercial activities reporting to the project lead and a discipline lead visiting the project. What you'll be doing
Reporting to a senior commercial team member based on the project or visiting where lower value scheme the Quantity Surveyor role is to undertake day-to-day activities across the commercial lifecycle of a construction project.
The role is suited to an individual who has progressed from an Assistant role and is used to be allocated tasks and progressing with these rather than requiring full supervision. The role will involve both responsibilities and learning both formal and informal from their line manager with the aim of taking on more responsibility at the appropriate time and progressing their development.
As a Quantity Surveyor,
you will support their senior QS and commercial colleague(s) with:
Who we're looking for
- Ensuring Contract requirements related to Project are complied with in full;
- Ensuring financial reporting related to Schemes is produced to the required standard and to the timetable as set from time to time;
- Subcontract procurement;
- Subcontract administration:
- Ensuring timely instructions are issued to the supply chain with appropriate governance having been secured;
- Ensuring that the supply chain is paid in accordance with contractual arrangements;
- Ensuring that Supply chain variations are effectively managed;
- Account settlement;
- Ensuring early warnings and compensation events are produced in accordance with the requirements of the contract;
- Risk Management;
Personal Qualities & Experience
- Relevant construction or business degree, or equivalent;
- Has attained or is planning to attain a relevant post-degree qualification i.e. RICS;
- Full driving licence;
- Computer literate;
- Construction experience.
- Experience in (ideally) health sector although accommodation or commercial construction is also welcomed as part of the wider business operation;
- Experience on higher value schemes would be advantageous ( 50m+) simply to help familiarity with working as part of a large team.
Most importantly the individual should be a team player, keen to learn and contribute to the success of the project.
Why work for us
Candidates keen to progress will experience an industry leading work environment and exposure to some of the most challenging and exciting projects in the local area.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
We operate according to our Build to Last Values of Lean, Expert, Trusted, Safe and Sustainable.
We support each other to deliver and succeed, placing equal value on all perspectives by embracing diversity and inclusion. Together we deliver powerful new solutions, collaborating with governments, our customers and partners to shape thinking, create skylines and inspire a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
click here to continue.-->
Supply Chain Management