About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Contracts Engineer to join our Ground Engineering team to work in Basingstoke with travel to various sites in the South.What you'll be doing
To be responsible for the efficient running of contracts on site which includes, contract performance, safety, monitoring/ reporting progress against targets, client liaison, allocation and supervision of staff, whilst achieve excellence in safety, quality, sustainability and efficiency, ensuring consistency with the Balfour Beatty Business Management System.
As a Senior Contracts Engineer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Ensure that the project has clear deliverables through handover meetings with the process team (estimating, design, commercial, procurement, plant and operations) and ensure monitoring/compliance through the use of KPIs.
- Prepare and collate contract documentation and ensure submission to the customer in advance of the works. Ensure all approvals are obtained in full prior to mobilisation to site
- Prepare site documentation and communicate deliverables to the site supervisor. On complex or large projects attend site as directed by the Operations Manager
- Ensure all site records are presented in a comprehensive format, neat and tidy.
- Review site records on a weekly basis to ensure compliance with deliverables and contract
- Manage the close out of any non-conformities that may arise
- Responsible for recording all changes to project deliverables with the customer ensuring involvement with the commercial department
- Monitor the project performance on a daily basis with the project site team, ensuring that all actions/risks are closed out in a timely manner to maximise margins, reduce costs, maximise income and reduce risk. Report on project performance daily to the operations manager
- Demonstrate highly visible and effective HSE and sustainability leadership
- Be responsible for leading or agreeing final account settlements with the support of the commercial department
- Prepare and review the financial performance on a monthly basis and where applicable revise the project forecast weekly. Be responsible for all contract purchases/costs
- Provide support to the work winning teams on sequencing, constructability, methodology risks and opportunities. Provide support at customer meetings or input to bid documents
- Work closely with the whole process team (to include operations, preconstruction, commercial, plant, business development and design), to ensure an effective and efficient project delivery
- Develop relationships with customers to get a clear understanding of their requirements and to ensure customer understands the needs of Ground Engineering
- Ensure that all the project delivery team comply with the Balfour Beatty Business Management System through support and audit
- Participate in audit and assurance of the operations team, identifying good practice and areas for improvement and ensure these are captured in the strategy and BMS
The following qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- The role requires substantial experience in piling and ground engineering operations and design. Individuals must possess a recognised qualification, or be working towards a profession qualification (MICE or MIStructE) and hold a valid CSCS card.
- The role requires a capable person-manager, able to develop and coach teams, who is able to address HR issues promptly and robustly. The individual will be both focused and thorough and have the gravitas and professional credibility to advise senior management when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken.
- The individual needs to be articulate and capable of communicating ideas and concepts effectively to both their own team and external, particularly operational, parties.
- The role requires sound presentation skills and the capability to originate and develop new and innovative processes across the company.
- The individual needs to be able to set, deliver and measure clear targets, must have good commercial acumen and a working knowledge of contracts.
- The individual should possess drive ambition and the desire to succeed. The individual will be proactive enthusiastic and energised, yet thoughtful and have the ability at times to step back and consider.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering offers a range of services across the construction sector, from piled foundations to ground improvement, testing and analysis. We have established our reputation through our integrated design approach to every project, from the small to the very large.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists