Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire directly, but we do have an approved supplier list for when we’d like a helping hand. We’ll be in touch if we need you.
Cost Planner/Estimator - Building Southern
Galliford Try is one of the UK’s leading construction businesses with a vision to be a people-orientated, progressive business, driven by our values to deliver lasting change for our stakeholders and the communities we work in. Our purpose is to improve people’s lives by building the facilities and infrastructure that communities need, provide opportunities for our people to learn, grow and progress and working with our supply chain to promote the very best working practices as well as caring for the environment in which we work.
We do this by holding true to our values, delivering excellence for our clients and the community, being passionate about our role in providing vital services, putting integrity at the heart of our business by doing the right thing, and collaborating with our clients, supply chain and stakeholders to deliver lasting change and long-term value.
We are committed to agile working, giving our people the freedom and flexibility to adapt their working life around their home life to achieve a proper balance. Our smart working approaches allow greater use of technology in the way we carry out our business, ensuring we provide a working environment that works for everyone.
As a major UK contractor Galliford Try has a diversified workload in the public, regulated and private sectors. Boasting a strong reputation for providing whole-life solutions, high standards of project delivery, and an ability to innovate. We predominately operate under either the Galliford Try or the Morrison Construction brands, and organised into five key segments: Building, Infrastructure, Facilities Management, Investments and Integrated Solutions.
The Building Division works across health, education, defense and commercial markets, with a well-balanced spread of both public and private sector clients. Our extensive experience and expertise in building projects enables us to understand our clients’ construction needs and deliver solutions that surpass their expectations.
As a key member of the pre-construction team, the estimator role is instrumental in securing new work for Galliford Try through our various framework agreements alongside single stage tender opportunities.
The role will require the provision of estimating functions for single stage tender opportunities both within and outside of frameworks, alongside cost plan reviews as necessary for our various 2-stage opportunities.
To support these key functions, input will be required into other areas of successful tendering such as: risk reviews, exploring value engineering opportunities, implementing win themes and supply chain / client engagement.
Working within high performing tender teams will be key, including where necessary leading elements of the tedner process. The quick nature of tendering will require the candidate to be proficient in achieving tight deadlines whilst always adhering to business governance procedures.
Beyond the tender process, the estimator will continue to provide support to projects in preferred bidder stage, retaining responsibility for cost plan updates and liaising with client representatives as necessary.
There is no defined split between estimating and costplanning support, but it can be assumed to be broadly 50 / 50.
- Prepare accurate and competitive cost plans and estimates
- Lead / participate in the Value Engineering process
- Produce accurate net estimates in accordance with client’s standards to win work when required
- Gather / develop accurate benchmark and out-turn cost data to utilise and interpret on future projects
- Obtain the most competitive quotes by understanding current market trends
- Lead the pricing element of the tender process.
- Proactively engage with the supply chain market to secure prices.
- Undertake appropriate checks of any pricing document (utilising electronic measurement toosl for example).
- Support the bid team to achieve deadlines
- Identify and report on risk and opportunity / scope
- Assess tender documentation, requirements and report findings to team
- Ensure risk register is applied and monitored
- Contribute / develop tender strategy and continuously monitor
- Involvement in the adjudication process, leading the cost plan process.
- Prepare submission documents
- Contribute / develop and deliver the tender strategy / Win Plan.
- Ensure all supplementary information is in place
- Build effective relationships to establish two way dialogue with customers and suppliers
- Identify the customer and understand their needs
- Seek to establish professional trust and mutual respect with customers and suppliers
- Endeavour to maintain relationships into the future with customers and suppliers
- Attend post tender negotiation with a view to taking the responsibilities
- Awareness of current health and safety requirements and changes
- Influence and support team members to innovate and achieve optimum solutions
- Effectively communicate bid strategy and solutions to construction team
- Influence and support suppliers to innovate and achieve optimum solutions
- Obtain feedback from construction team and utilise for tender purposes
- Seek opportunities to learn about changes and innovations in the industry
- Ensure own skill base is developed
- Remain aware of current industry trends and cost movements
- Contribute to delivery of the business unit ‘Pathway to Great’ KPI’s
- Continued proactive behaviours around GT’s no.1 business improvement strategy delivering excellence
- Liaise with bid teams to ensure knowledge sharing and best practice
- Utilise expertise and build relationships with our aligned supply chain partners in support of our ‘Advantage through alignment’ business improvement strategy
Skills & Experiences
- Ability to work in a team environment contributing across a business unit or area
- Good management skills with the ability to motivate team members to achieve high standards of compliance
- Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills; able to manage projects simultaneously without compromising on standards and quality
- Sound knowledge of the construction industry
- Ability to ensure standards and specifications are met
- Ability to work with senior management to set project and operational targets
- Excellent negotiation and diplomacy skills and the ability to make a sound business case to senior stakeholders
- Confident and professional tender interview / presentation abilities
We offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges. We also offer a competitive salary and benefits package and we will always consider flexible working hours and arrangements.
With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
Galliford Try is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community